We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An excellent day...except at the end.

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
An excellent day...except at the end.

We just got back from Gettysburg, and it was an excellent day to tour.

We hired a guide to take my wife and I in my car, and it was money well spent.You can't get a more personalized tour with a knowledgeable guide that can answer questions (a tape can't).

The new visitors center is very nice, and although there is much less on exhibit, it is laid out much better. I would have liked to see them use non-reflective glass on the displays. It is hard enough with the low light conditions (understandable), but the reflections are a killer. Someone missed the boat on that one.

It seems like display area was given up for meeting rooms and other things.

For a bad end to the day, I can thank your town government.

After popping quarters in meters all day, and spending money around the community, we went to the Gman's for dinner. I went a block past, and down an empty side street with meters.

Figuring that since it was after 5 o'clock, I didn't need to pay the meter (stupid me).

Well, they must hide and wait for out of towners, because I came out to find a $15-$20 ticket!

$15 if you paid now...but only check or money order. Guess what? you got your greedy little hands on cash. I don't carry checks on me, and I'm not searching for a money order.

I wouldn't have even minded if it was five bucks...like most towns...but you know you can rake in the money from us visitors. Thanks for the welcome.

The locals told me they will tag you at 2 A.M.

A real classLESS act.

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

The meters clearly state the hours. You chose not to pay and you're annoyed you got fined?

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

Like I said, I wrongly assumed that I did not need to pay that late, and yes, I am upset at the amount of the fine.

I put money in meters all day, so a quarter is no big deal. Neither would a $5 fine be.

$20 is just greed.

I am allowed to express my feelings, and warn others to be careful of this.

Ok?

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

Don't worry--they are generous with the tickets to locals and tourists alike. I've had my share! The parking issue has actually been in the news lately. The borough of Gettysburg is cash-strapped, partly due to the number of tax-exempt properties in the town. Raising parking fines and the rates at the parking garage is an attempt to make up some extra revenue, as they already have some of the highest property tax rates in the county. But it is a shame that you had to end your day on such a sour note. Isn't it funny that something like that can wreck a whole day?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

Perhaps I misunderstood. You didn't put the coins in the meter. You got fined. You got the same fine everybody else does, regardless of state on the license plate. And you're calling us "classless."

"Class" is doing the right thing, even when nobody's looking.

CT
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

I have to agree with Tomjadq. If Gettysburg wants to advertise itself as a tourist area, hoping to attract out-of-state folks, they've got to make it a bit easier to park at night or after 5. We are aleady paying tolls to cross bridges to get there, paying fairly high bed and breakfast rates, museum fees, taxes, and over $4.00 a gallon gas. If Gettysburgh wants to be tourist friendly, they have to bend a bit, too. At least give him a warning the first time around. He wasn't doing it to be a jerk, he misunderstood the times for which you have to continue to put quarters in. Maybe Gettysburg no longer needs tourist revenue.......

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

Imalocal,

Yes, you misunderstood.

Please do not twist my words. I never called you or any other resident "classless" (well, unless you are a boro councilman...hahaha).I said "town government" in my opening remark.

I also clearly stated that I wrongly assumed that meters didn't need fed that late. My only point was the amount of the fine.

I've been there 5 or 6 times over the years because it is a great town full of history and friendly people.

Visitors need to be aware that they need to be very carefull with the meters. Maybe a sticky at the top of this forum.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

You are right. People new to town should be warned about the parking Gestapo. As someone who has pais he's share of the D--m things I know. I was never so glad to see the new American Legion built, because of the free parking.My suggestion is to stay off of the metered parking. If you going to the Gingerbread man park at the wax museam and walk the short distance. Scout out the area ther is more than enough free parking in Gettysburg.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

You are right. People new to town should be warned about the parking Gestapo. As someone who has paid he's share of the D--m things I know. I was never so glad to see the new American Legion built, because of the free parking. My suggestion is to stay off of the metered parking. If you are going to the Gingerbread Man park at the wax museaum and walk the short distance. Scout out the area ther is more than enough free parking in Gettysburg.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

I'm with imalocal on this one. There is plenty of free parking if you are a little creative and lots of other parking if you feed a quarter and pay attention.

We usually stay near or on Steinwehr, so we can park at the hotel where we are staying.

ps - where do you live that an expired meter is a $5 ticket? Wow. I'd never pay a meter either.

10. Re: An excellent day...except at the end.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg