We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip august 2008

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
4 posts
Save Topic
trip august 2008

will begoing to Gettsyburg in August 2008. looking foradvice on how many days to see area going with family of 4 wife 2 kids 14 and 10 want to see as much as possible with out making it unpleasent for kids. also any hotel recomendations (looking at Gettsyburg Best Western as of now which room other hotels) resturant recomendations sight seeing recomendations looking for atmosphere in all we do

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip august 2008

A 2/3 night trip should be sufficient to get a good feel for the town without sending your kids over the edge!

The biggest draw in Gettysburg is, rightly, the National Military Park - you can spend all your time there and still not experience it all - it's huge and spreads out from all directions of town. To make it more fun for the kids, why not schedule a tour on horseback? I've never done this (plan to this fall) but others who've posted here have loved it. 2 local stables who offer this are the National Riding Stables & Hickory Hollow Farms, both have websites. Also, make sure you return to the Park after dark - in August, it's open until 10pm & it's really creepy - kids love it! You'll just want to make sure you're out when it closes - the park is monitored and the rules are strictly enforced, plus private homes are within the Park's boundaries.

There are lots of museums in town - some good, some not so much. Two great ones are the Schriver House and the Rupp House, both on Baltimore Street and both focusing on the civilian experience during the battle. The Schriver offers guided tours (about 1 hr) for a nominal fee. The Rupp is free and is more "explore on your own" and "hands on," which kids love. Donations are appreciated, and discreet donation boxes are placed throughout the house. Our 10-year-old loves both museums and we visit them everytime we go - much more interesting to them than the museums focusing on military aspects of the battle.

Another big draw in town are the ghost tours - usually walking tours of about 90 minutes through town. There are TONS of different companies offering them, as you'll see when you arrive - practically every block has one! Some hit the downtown area, some the outskirts,...some even enter supposedly "haunted" buildings. When you get there, you can decide what appeals most to your family. The Farnsworth House Inn even offers ghost stories in their basement (no walking) and something called the "Mature Tour" - I'm still not quite sure what it is, but people seem to love it.

For a hotel, I would definitely recommend the James Gettys Hotel on Chambersburg Street, just off the Square. It's an all-suites hotel, so there's plenty of room for a family of four - each suite consists of a living room, bedroom, bath & kitchenette. Like most buildings there, it's a former CW hospital, and it's been beautifully restored & decorated. It's also within walking distance to many sites/shops/restaurants, and a 5 minute drive from just about everything else. The suites range in price from $135 - $165, depending on size, but in August, you'll pay about that at many regular hotels. We usually stock the kitchen with breakfast items (for a family of 4, this is a HUGE savings over the course of a few days - there's your horseback riding $$!), plus each night, they deliver juice & homebaked goods in a basket to each suite. You can get a description of each suite & check availability on their website - our favorites are the John Troxell Suite & the Indian King Suite. It's much more like staying at an historic inn than a hotel, but with privacy.

As for restaurants, you can find just about anything your looking for. If historic atmosphere is what you look for, the Dobbin House, Herr Tavern & Cashtown Inn are favorites of ours for both lunch and dinner. Very historic buildings (2 even have their own ghosts!) with reasonably priced lunches and dinners that can get a bit pricey, but worth it. I've recently learned from another TA member that the Herr Tavern was less than welcoming to her children, though, so you may want to think twice about that one. You can check out their menus & pricing on their websites. Another favorite of ours is O'Rourke's Pub - great food, reasonably priced, and right in the middle of everything.

Hope all this helps - enjoy your trip!

Binghamton, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip august 2008

I posted a go list on this site. I listed all the different attractions as well as great site to get info on the area. You can order a free guide from the site.

I went with my kids who were 13, 17 and 19. They all really enjoyed it!

My go list is called Gettysburg- who thought history could be fun?

Central, NJ
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip august 2008

Just wondering...are you looking for "constant go go go: or would you like a little pece and quiet in the evening to sit outside and relax with a glass of wine with drop dead vistas? If so I would recommend Orchard Hills Suites - they are literally 8 minutes from Semindary Ridge overlooking apple and grape growing country...the facilitiies are huge and new and efficiency and excellent for families...the owners delightful and only $100/night which includes all taxes.... My 2nd recommendation would be Brierfield Country Cottages 3 miles NW of the Peace Memorial...again - faulous accomodations and private wuth ayour own deck only $89/night all inclusive...and owner is a delight. I'd stay away fro staying "in town" during the summer...it's noisey.

4. Re: trip august 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:27 am, September 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg