We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report to Gettysburg---our first trip there!

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WV
Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report to Gettysburg---our first trip there!

We just got back from a three night stay in Gettysburg. I can't imagine not spending at least two full days here, there were a couple of things I would have liked to have done that we didn't have time for.

We stayed in the Wyndham a few miles down the road, very nice hotel with great beds! We ate their restaurant (1863) one night, the food was average but way over priced, I would never go back. For breakfast we drove to Friendly's, during the week you can get some great $2.99 specials. Very good with very 'friendly' service! We also ate lunch there one day, hubby and son got ice cream and I got a chicken wrap, again everything was very good and a great price.

We bought the tape for the Battlefield tour, I think if I were to do it again, I'd choose a tour guide, but there were advantages to the tape, my hubby and 13 year old son wanted to get out a lot and take pictures (they are both into photography and my son has his own digital camera), so we had to break our trip into two days, we did about 2 1/2 hours one day and probably another 2 the next day. Our favorite part was 'Devil's den', kind of creepy, we all got out and climbed on the rocks and took several pictures. The man voicing the Battlefield tape did a good job though and he was quite interesting. So honestly if you are the type of person who really wants to take their time and get out of the car several times, I'd recommend the tape, but otherwise, I'm sure the tour guide would be a little better.

Now onto the other places we toured, The free museum at the visitors center was very interesting (and it will be even better next year when the new visitor's center opens). We did the Jenny Wade house tour, kind of interesting but you can pretty much read everything about Jenny Wade everywhere in Gettysburg and the tour is was too expensive for what it was worth, so I would say skip this if you are on a budget or short on time. My son is a war buff, so of course he HAD to do the Military Museum (I think that was the name of it) anyway it advertises that it has items from the civil war and WWI through WWII and it's housed in a large brick building. Definitely skip this! It does have a lot of stuff, but most of the things from the civil war you can see at the visitor's center! It does have a lot of things from WWI and WWII, but most of it is down in the basement and the places reeks of mold! This place is definitely NOT worth the price of admission!

We went to the cemetery across from the visitors center where President Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address, it was a very moving experience.

The only thing that we paid for that we actually really enjoyed and thought it was worth our money was the Ghosts of Gettysburg Seminary Ridge tour (as was recommended on this site!), our ghost tour guide was Larry and he was great, the tour was supposed to be 1 hr and 15 minutes, but it lasted at least another 15 minutes longer, he was very interesting and there were a couple of creepy things that happened on our tour. There are ghost tours all over the place in Gettysburg, but this one came with the most recommendations, and I'd definitely stick with this tour--especially if it's your first time doing a ghost tour.

Now onto the restaurants, on two mornings we ate at Friendly's during the week, they have a great $2.99 breakfast, the cofffee was good and the service was fast and 'friendly' (sorry for the pun, but it really was!). On Saturday afternoon we ate at Friendly's again, we wanted to eat something kind of light (well, at least I did), I got the chicken wrap and shared it with my two guys, it was very good and the guys got ice cream (VERY GOOD!), this place was busy on the Saturday though.

We ate at Farnsworth Inn for dinner on Saturday evening, it was good. From the advice on this board, we choose the pumpkin fritters and OMG, they were right, they are SO good! I got the roasted chicken, excellent, very moist! My son got the chicken pot pie, it was good, and my husband got the game pie, he loved it and I tasted it, I thought it was pretty good, but I'm glad I didn't order it. The spoon bread was different, but a waitress told us that a lot of people mix it with the apple butter they serve, and it was much better that way. I felt we got a lot of food and service was good, and I loved the pewter goblets they serve the ice water in--it was sooo cold! I enjoyed my dinner here and I'm glad I tried it, but if I were to go back to Gettysburg I would try another place.

Our hands down favorite was the Pub at Dobbin's house (located downstairs) we ate there on Friday afternoon, it was crowded, kind of loud and not romantic at all, but who cares, we are in Gettysburg eating at a tavern!!! Both hubby and myself ordered the King's onion soup (again recommended on this board!), and it was SOOOO good, we both loved it, better than any french onion soup we've ever had, then we both shared the fruit and cheese platter, good thing because it was huge! And if I remember correctly it was only $8.99! It had lots of cheese, grapes, honeydew melon, apple slices, orange slices and pineapple (everything was good except the pineapple wasn't quite ripe enough). It also came with two huge slices of the delicious sweet bread and a huge slice of some kind of cream cheese (I thought it tasted sweetened, but not sure). My son got the cheeseburger with the potato salad, he said it was really good. We'd all return to this place again and again! One word of caution they don't give free refills on the coke products and it's $1.89 a glass! I think they give free refills on ice tea though.

Okay, that's all! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

mln
Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report to Gettysburg---our first trip there!

Great trip report !!

WV
Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report to Gettysburg---our first trip there!

Thanks, but I see that I made some double posts on this trip report----sorry I guess I didn't proof read it well enough.

3. Re: Trip report to Gettysburg---our first trip there!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg