We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gettysburg Side Trip

Which Gettysburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sanford, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Gettysburg Side Trip

I'm driving to Cooperstown, NY with my wife and 2 boys (14&7). I was looking for a halfway stop on the way to stay the night when I realized Gettysburg was approx. halfway.

So now i've decided to stay in Gettysburg on Sunday April 8, then continue my drive the next morning to Cooperstown.

I'm guessing we would arrive in Gettysburg between 11am-12pm (eariler depending on when we leave). That gives us the rest of the day to see what we can. Will we be able to accomplish much? I'm guessing to get the most out of the time we should probably do a tour.

Any tips/advice for a one day trip?

Allentown, PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gettysburg Side Trip

Hmmm.... after all that driving and with 2 kids, I'm sure there's something you can find.

You can take a bus tour if you feel like sitting for another 2 hours. You could also just drive out onto the battlefields and stop along the way. The most popular spot is Little Round Top.

There are also living history tours, and a lot of shops. At night there are ghost tours, and those are always fun. They are all pretty much "PG", the only one you wouldn't want to take the kids to is the "mature tour" in the basement of the Farnsworth Inn. The 14 year old can probably handle that one, but the 7 year old might get a little scared.

There are a lot of museums too, and there's also Boyd's Bears.

Gettysburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gettysburg Side Trip

I think the best thing you can do is go to the National Park Service Visitor's Center where you can look at exhibits and the National Cemetery is just across the street where Lincoln gave his address. While there, you can sign up to have a park guide hop in your car and drive you around for 2 1/2 hours and have personal tour with an expert of the battle. It's $45, plus gratuity, but well worth it. We always do this with new guests and they love it as the guides can tailor it to your interests.

Sanford, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gettysburg Side Trip

I think we will probably do the guided tour as suggested. Sounds like the best option. If we are up to it, we'll probably do one of the ghost tours that night. Looks like Ghosts of Gettysburg has one tour that night at 8pm (the Baltimore St. tour). I think we'll enjoy that.

How is the parking in town? We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn (free with my reward points) so I'll be driving into town. Am I going to have trouble finding somewhere to park?

What kind of crowds can I expect on Easter Sunday?

Gettysburg PA
Level Contributor
338 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gettysburg Side Trip

Crowds are depending on the weather. It's supposed to be cold here over the weekend. There is plenty of parking around the visitor center and other locations in town. The Hilton Garden is about a mile and a half outside town, maybe less. It's a little muddy here, since the snow melted, so if you're planning on running around on the battlefield, dress appropriately. Most restaurants will be open, along with most souvenir shops.

5. Re: Gettysburg Side Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Gettysburg