We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time to Philly - Safe

Rhode Island
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
1st Time to Philly - Safe

My husband and I are going to Philly for the 1st time during the 1st week of January as a surprise trip for his birthday - Can't go too far as kids are with a sitter. We're staying at the Four Seasons. Is that a safe area to walk around at night? What's the "can't miss" things for a 2-day trip?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time to Philly - Safe

I'd say the area around the Four Seasons is generally safe at night. I can't off the bat think of too many place you'd be walking to from there at night, though, especially in the very likely cold January weather...

What to do in two days really depends on your interests, but of course Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell shouldn't be missed. Other than that, I'd put the Art Musuem and Reading Terminal Market high on the list. Check the attractions tab to find more of the top sites you have to choose from. Enjoy your stay.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time to Philly - Safe

Center City Philadelphia (Vine to South Sts., river to river) is generally pretty safe, as big cities go. But as in any big city, you have to use your smarts. The later it is in the evening, the fewer people there will be out walking.

As for "must sees", that really depends on your interests. If you are interested in fine arts then definitely go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. If you like architecture then take the Philadelphia City Hall tour at 12:30 any weekday. Even if you don't take the tour, you can go up the clock tower for great views.

If history is bringing you to Philly, then spend some time at Independence National Historical Park, especially at Franklin Court, and visit Elfreths Alley in Old City. Weather-permitting, walk around Society Hill, with its abundance of late 18th C. and early 19th C. buildings, and pop into any of the Old Philadelphia Congregations houses of worship if you pass by them. (That includes Christ Church, Old Pine, Temple Mikvah Isreal, Arch Street Friends Meetinghouse, and others.)

Regardless of whatever else you do, check out the National Constitution Center on the grounds of Independence Park.

Hope that helps,

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time to Philly - Safe

I definitely agree with Mompsydog that the Reading Terminal Market is a must see. I don't know how I left it out!

Lynn

Gradyville...
Level Contributor
274 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time to Philly - Safe

Since you will probably be visiting some of the many historic sites in Philly, here's something else: Watch/rent the movie National Treasure (with Nicholas Cage) before your trip. There are several websites online, such as http://www.washington.org/movietour/phila.htm which will remind you as to where in Philadelphia much of this movie took place. It's referred to as the National Treasure tour. Fun. We're doing the tour, ourselves, as a family, since we enjoyed the movie so much.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time to Philly - Safe

Personally, the 'must-see' things for Philadelphia are Independence Hall and the Constitution Center in general, the Art Museum if you're in the mood for art, the Reading Terminal Market if you're a foodie (or in the neighborhood, it's pretty great to have lunch there). Your hotel is quite close to the Franklin Institute, the Academy of Natural Science, and the Cathedral-Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul. The Parkway (the area in front of your hotel) is a bit quiet at night, but usually has traffic and some pedestrians.

Have a great time!

6. Re: 1st Time to Philly - Safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, August 21, 2009