We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in Philly

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New Years in Philly

My partner and I want to spend New Years away from home (we live in DC area). Thinking about spending 2 nights at the Sofitel but thought I would check to see if any one knew of any deals being run by hotels.

Checked lots of hotel prices and most seem to almost double the rates for New Years night, except the Sofitel (they go up a bit but not double!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are still paying for our trip to London a month ago. Whew was that expensive!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years in Philly

Besides the standard New Year's Eve parties going on in or near the hotels, many guests stick around the next day for the Mummers Parade, a uniquely Philadelphian tradition.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not aware of any deals beyond what could be found on the usual travel sites. There's always Priceline and Hotwire, of course, depending on how flexible you are.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years in Philly

You might want to see if there's anything nice in Phila. on www.vrbo.com -- Vacation Rentals By Owner. I've used this site twice to find places to stay in Boulder and Manhattan, and had a great experience both times. I've recommended the site to several friends who were similarly pleased. You have to ask questions and be discerning, but it seems like most of the people listing their apartments and houses there are nice and keep their places clean and guest-ready. Usually lots cheaper than a hotel, even if rates go up a bit for holidays.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years in Philly

I went on Hotwire and you can get the Society Hill Sheraton for $140/night (I put your dates in coming in on Dec 30th and leaving on Jan 1st)- not sure if that is accurate. I think that's a good deal for NY Eve - the hotel is nice (3.5 star) and it's in a great location right in Old City/Society Hill. On Hotwire, the Sheraton is rated as a 3.5 hotel in the Historic District/Penns Landing area. Let me know if you have further questions, happy to help. I've stayed there a bunch of times, the location cannot be beat. They also have a nice indoor rooftop pool and hot tub as well as a decent fitness center. Hope this helps.

Suzanne

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years in Philly

Thanks McCarthys5 for the hotwire tip, but how do you know the hotel is the Sheraton Society Hill? I can't see any names, just prices

Do you have to register?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years in Philly

Also, many thnaks for the VRBO tip. Tried it but only two properties. I did use it to book a flat in London for 10 days and it was great!!!

Didn't save a whole lot of $ but we did get much more space and a absolutly great view of the London skyline at night.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years in Philly

I should have explained about Hotwire, sorry. Hotwire is a discount website that hotels use to fill their rooms at the lowest rates. The reason I know that that hotel is the Sheraton Society Hill (it is the only 3.5* in the Historic District/Penns Landing) is because I have booked it so many times and recognize both its star level, location and amentities. $140 for NY is great - I really would be surprised if you were to do much better. Let me know if you need further information, happy to help. I have used Hotwire many times and have not been burned - it is a great way to get a relatively inexpensive hotel room. The other discount website is Priceline, but that is much riskier, in mu opinion.

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years in Philly

Also, should have said this - you can't see the name of the hotel until you have booked it - and there are no cancellations. That is part of the discount deal. I've stayed at some reasonably good hotels in Philly via Hotwire - Sheraton Society Hill, Hyatt Regency Penns Landing, Crowne Plaza, Doubletree - those are just a few that come to mind. If you want help trying to identify any other hotel in Philly on Hotwire, could probably assist with that as well.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years in Philly

If you are o.k. with staying in a "boutique" style hotel, (no room service, but very charming and in a great location) I recommend the Alexander Inn. http://www.alexanderinn.com/rooms_rates.htm Regular rates are sometimes as low as $99 per night, so how much can they increase the rates for NYE?

It is a gay-friendly hotel situated in the really beautiful Washington Square West neighborhood of Philadelphia. I've posted about this particular hotel in the past and I always recommend it to friends because it is equidistant to both the Rittenhouse Square and historic Old City districts. Both of these districts offer plenty to do in terms of restaurants, shopping, tourism, nightlife, etc.

I can understand your pain regarding London - the Pounds Sterling to Dollar exchange rate is killer right now!

9. Re: New Years in Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 27, 2009