We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips NYC - DC: where to go: Boston, or Philly??

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips NYC - DC: where to go: Boston, or Philly??

I will be in visiting DC and NYC during January 07 (Jan 5-11 DC; 11-17 NYC). I was thinking of going on a day trip (same day return) or 1-night-trip (next day return) to Philadelphia (from DC) or Boston (from NYC). I dont know where to go. Which city has the best and vibrant nightlife, sightseeing, gay neighborhoods, museums, shows, etc etc... We have 25 yrs old and 20 yrs old , so any recommendations. I'm looking forward on not spending a lot of money in that trip. Advices? Hints? I think taking a train will be cheaper, isnt it?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips NYC - DC: where to go: Boston, or Philly??

Philadelphia lies between DC and NYC and there is plenty to do here in all the areas you mentioned. Have you considered spending time here in between your visits to the other cities?

Lynn

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips NYC - DC: where to go: Boston, or Philly??

No knock on Boston but Philly has plenty to offer in what you are looking for. I'll say that if your dealbreaker is cost then Philly will be much more affordable than the "Capital of New England". As Lynn said, it will certainly be a more convenient stop between New York and Washington. The city is about 2 hours south of NYC and 3 hours northeast of DC via highway. You can take various combinations of buses and/or trains to get to and from town. Allow me to shamelessly plug my GoList which will give you a general overview of how to get around Center City (downtown) by foot and local transit:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1506-Getting_I…

Good luck!

Tony

3. Re: Day trips NYC - DC: where to go: Boston, or Philly??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 26, 2009