We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best eats?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
14 posts
Save Topic
Where are the best eats?

Ok, now the shopping is sorted (well nearly!), can anyone give me some recommendations fo where to get some good food during our stay at the end of the month? Good breakfast places? Nice evening meals? cheap lunches?

Thanks!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the best eats?

Kira, in what part of town are you staying?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the best eats?

For a great cheap lunch and a "slice-of-life" in the process, check out Reading Terminal Market (not open on Sundays) at 12th/13th Street and Arch. It's a real farmer's market and there are many food stands there with all sorts of different food items. And there's an area with tables and chairs to sit down.

London
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the best eats?

Hi Happy, We are staying at the Hyatt penns landing..

Philly
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the best eats?

You can search Philadelphia restaurants on www.citysearch.com.

Terminal Market is not to be missed. They have the Amish diner in there with probably the cheapest breakfast in town!

My other favorites are:

For dinner:

- Django on 4th street near South Street (forget about getting a table on the weekend, you may have more luck on a weekday, especially if you do not mind eating early/late. Sort of french cooking, lots of venison and other wild beast (boar, canadian goose, etc), very tasty if on the heavier side.

- Dimitri's on 2nd street near South Street - greek restaurant. Very simple, fresh, mostly grilled food and quite affordable.

- Lolita on 13th street between Chestnut and Walnut. Mexican food, but not your standard burrito and taco place. You probably would not know it is Mexican if I did not tell you :)). Very, very tasty.

All the places above are BYOB (you can bring your own tequilla to Lolita, they sell delicious margarita mix). Django and Dimitris can be considered walking distance from your hotel. THere is also lots of places in Old City, which could be considered walking distance too. There is Continental, with fancy drinks and good food and a scene to boot! (Continental does brunch on the weekends too, but as I never had brunch there, I cannot say much about it). And if you do not mind dropping some cash, try Buddakhan, which is an "asian fusion" restaurant, with very good food and even a bigger scene.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are the best eats?

Kira, the Hyatt is a little bit out of the way. Distance-wise, it's not far from the main attractions, but it's inconvenient to get to places from there on foot.

The hotel is right on the Delaware River on a narrow stretch of land known as Penn's Landing. Right next to Penn's Landing is a busy avenue and a major interstate highway. Then on the other side of the highway up a few blocks is the histroric area, Olde City, South Street, etc. I believe there is a pedestrian overpass that connects Penn's Landing to the rest of downtown, but not sure how close the overpass is to the hotel. Just wanted to let you know that you're in for a bit of a hike no matter where you want to go downtown. Of course, you can always take a cab.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are the best eats?

Kira, I hope I didn't discourage you. Just bring your walking shoes, and you'll be fine; also, keep in mind that cabs are relatively cheap here. Anyway, here are some restaurants right near your hotel:

--Dave & Busters--Fun place, good for lunch or dinner, has a separate area with pool tables and an arcade room adjacent to the restaurant.

For dinners:

--La Veranda--Very good Italian food, nice place

--Moshulu--This is a "tall ship" converted into a restaurant.

--Chart House-- Nice views of the river

London
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are the best eats?

Thanks for the suggestions Happy, No not discouragd, I got the impression it was a little bit of a walk, but for the ridiculously low special deal i got, i am prepared to accept that!

Moominek, those all sound great, now i just have to find time to fit in all the eating and shopping that it looks like i have to do!

MDB
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are the best eats?

I agree with the Django suggestion---it is truly superb. You will be near Chestnut and 2nd which has a variety of restaurants. Cuba Libre is fun and there is good latin dance at Brazils.

clinton, new york
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are the best eats?

Hi!

My husband and I will also be traveling to Philadelphia next week. We are staying at the Sheraton Society Hill, 1 Dock Street (2nd and Walnut Streets). Are we in the same area as kira000 so that i can follow a lot of you suggestions?

My husband has a two day conference so i will be on my own during the day.

Thank you!

newchance51

MDB
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where are the best eats?

Daisyinfebruary, Yes, you are in a good location, near Society Hill and Old City. Down 2nd and 3rd there are several good restaurants and art galleries. You will also be within walking distance (go down Chestnut) to the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall etc. You might want to check out the Dali exhibit at the Art Museum. Have fun!