We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

DM
washington DC
Level Contributor
709 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

My wife and I want to spend our wedding anniversary dining at the best restaurant in Philly. We would like exceptionally special food, incredible service and a beautiful atmosphere. Can't afford Le Bec-Fin though so I've narrowed it down to Lacroix and Fountain. Price is not a variable between the two places.

Thanks in advance!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

You can't go wrong either way. We love the Fountain and had hoped to go to Lacroix tonight but it was booked. I've only heard great things about it.

The food at the Fountain is not strictly French, but definitely haute cuisine. The service is impeccable wthout being overbearing or stiff. Lovely decor.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

I have not been to Lacroix either - and have wanted to go as well - but have dined a few times at the Fountain Room and it is exceptional. You cannot go wrong and anyone who has ever gone there that I have spoken with has also had a first-class experience. But i agree with Lynn, chances are you can't go wrong with either place.

Suzanne

DM
washington DC
Level Contributor
709 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

Thank you both. We'll try to the Fountain. Also, is there a nice breakfast spot the next morning that you guys recommend? We're staying at the Sofitel and thinking of eating there, but we could go somewhere else.

Thanks again!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

Sorry, I can't help you with that one.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

Marathon grill on 16th and sansom has a very nice brunch, and that is very close to your hotel. Happy Anniversary!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

If I were to spend major pesos on a special dinner, I would choose Deux Cheminees or Vetri.

Deux Cheminees is a really romantic spot, with several small rooms and classic French cuisine. http://www.deuxchem.com/

Vetri is an amazing Italian www.vetriristorante.com - ethereal (no red sauce!) food that will forever change your perspective of Italian cuisine.

The last time we ate at the Fountain, we were disappointed.

Lacroix has a really fantastic (somewhat expensive though) brunch on Sundays.

http://www.rittenhousehotel.com/index.cfm

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

Like Laura, I am a big fan of Vetri. The chef (Marc Vetri) is incredibly innovative and the decor is soooo relaxing - like being in the chef's kitchen.

I'm not as big a fan of Deux Cheminees. Lovely atmosphere (more formal than Vetri) and great service, but the food tends to be heavier (all three soups had cream when we were there recently) and, IMO, not on a par with the others. The bulding itself is really cool and the staff likes to give tours. You might even meet Fritz Blank, the owner/chef.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

Vetri is amazing and it can be quite difficult to secure a reservation there. But, if you can get in, it's true - your mind will forever be changed about how you regard Italian food.

I have only eaten at Deux Cheminees once and loved it. The food is classic French and the building is very cool, architecturally, and quite romantic.

Suzanne

9. Re: Lacroix or Fountain - Tough call

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 26, 2009