We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to philadelphia

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kas
richmond,va
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
moving to philadelphia

To all local experts

My 20 something daughter has just taken a job in Philadelphia at a school in Germantown and is attempting to locate a safe and affordable place to live. She will be new to the city and state and could really benefit from any and all advice about housing, transportation,crime,etc. Anyone out there in Philly who can help? We would really appreciate it. Thanks!

KAS

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to philadelphia

Will she have a car? Where in Germantown is the school? How much will she have to spend on living quarters?

The answers to the above will help to give the best advice.

kas
richmond,va
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to philadelphia

Owlyn,

..yes she has a car.... work is on school house lane at PSD .... will be able to spend about $600 -$650 a month or more if any utilities are included Thanks for any advice you can offer

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to philadelphia

Here's what I would do (or what I did when I was 20-something and working in the city) --

Chestnut Hill is a possibility. Look online at their local newspaper - www.chestnuthilllocal.com - even though it is pricey to buy in that area, your daughter may be able to secure a rental in the $600-700 range for one bedroom apartment. I just looked online at their recent classifieds and there were some options. It is within the city limits and the neighborhood is just lovely and very charming (I lived there for most of my early-mid 20's after college.) It would be about a 15 minute drive in rush hour traffic to PSD.

Another possibility is the Roxborough/Manayunk area. That may be a small start. Good luck.

Suzanne

philadelphia
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to philadelphia

I would definitely recommend manayunk. It is an area within philadelphia approximately 10 miles west of center city. It is close to Germantown, probably 20 minutes max. It is very easy to get in and out of philadelphia from manayunk. Although parking (and the hilly area) can be a little tough, it is not really that bad.

It is an area dominated by 20 somethings who are mostly post-college beggining their careers. It has a lively bar/restaurant scene, and plenty of shopping along main st. It is a great area and reasonable (cost-wise) compared to living within the city.

I would bet she could find a 1 bedroom in about the same range as chestnut hill, probably a little cheaper. The benefit of living in manayunk is that she would have many people in the same age-range, and most likely tastes as she would be. I think she would really like the fact that most of her neighbors would be similar in age, and it would offer her an easy way to meet people.

You can see more at this website. I live in manayunk, so feel free to ask any questions, I would be happy to help.

http://www.manayunk.com/

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to philadelphia

If she'd like to look closer to Center City, she might try the Art Museum neighborhood. Some of it's very expensive, but the fringes are affordable and pretty safe. Not as safe as Society Hill, but not terrifically scary or abandoned. Most of the underpaid 20/30somethings I know who live in Philly without a roommate live in Southy Philly, so that's another possibility.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to philadelphia

Love the Chestnut Hill and Manayunk suggestions. But, I think Chestnut Hill and Manayunk may be a little beyond the price range. I grew up in Roxborough and parents still live there. The local paper for Roxborough is the Roxborough Review. It has listings for rentals. One can often find a house that has been converted to apartments and rented. Roxborough is quite close to Germantown and also borders Manayunk without the prices, parking problems and those hills I walked up daily to and from St. John the Baptist.

Tell your daughter good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

PRIZE

Marlton, NJ
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to philadelphia

When we first moved to Philly, we rented an apartment in a twin in Mt. Airy on Bryan St. We loved our neighbors and felt totally safe. Our only one (major) problem was my convertible got DESTROYED.

Also, check out shared housing in some of the pricier areas. That's definitely avail in Manayunk, Art Museum, Chestnut Hill etc. Try checking with Chestnut Hill College. They're predominantly female and would certainly have recommendations for safe housing. maybe even a bulletin board. Also, let her know she can use their indoor pool for either free or close to it!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to philadelphia

I really think you could find affordable housing in Chestnut Hill. I went to Chestnut Hill College (am an alum of both the undergrad and their grad program) and worked there for almost 5 years as well in college admissions after my undergraduate degree. I lived with a friend of mine and we found there were quite a few affordable apartments (alongside many expensive ones as well) -you just have to look. We did all of our searching through the Chestnut Hill Local. The area is great and I always felt safe - we lived right on Germantown Ave across from what is now Cin Cin (wasn't Cin Cin back then!) I loved the atmosphere of the neighborhood and it was so charming.

Also, no disrepect to the last poster, but Chestnut Hill College is now co-ed, has been for the last 3 years, so it is no longer predominately women. There is quite a large male population on campus now, actually. Regardless, they may be able to help you regarding local housing. I'd check with their Student Activities office, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Suzanne

Suzanne

9. Re: moving to philadelphia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 23, 2009