We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

My wife and I are moving to Philly in November. We are looking for suggestions for short term (cheap and safe) accommodation for when we arrive. We plan on renting an apartment but need a place to stay before we find one. Any help appreciated!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

You may want to check out a sublet from Craigs list. If you can narrow down what part of Philly you prefer (like where your job (s) will be) that can help narrow down which part of Philly to suggest.

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

I will be working at UPenn. What areas do you suggest? In the end we would like to find a place in the 600-800 range for a 1 bedroom apartment. Is that enough?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

For your short term stay on arrival - check out a sublet from www.craigslist.org near or in University City (near Penn). If that doesn't work, think about a cheap B&B. Otherwise, you may just want to book a hotel on hotwire or another discount website. You should be able to get a good deal in November (as long as it's not around Thanksgiving - end of November).

You may be able to find a one BR in that range (most likely closer to $800). There are some decent, convenient places in University City, but you have to be careful around there. Some of the steets are still very rough. Hopefully someone else can post about with suggestions of good places to look or which streets to avoid. It may also be helpful if you say what's most important to you - do you want a small place in a decent neighborhood with things to do around or would you prefer a bigger place in an "edgier" neighborhood? Would you be willing to look in the suburbs? Do you want to stay really close to Penn? Will you have a car or would you mind taking the train to commute? These are some things you'll want to think about.

Good luck!

nh
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

allucy,

I was curious how the relocating was going , i'm also interested in relocating to philly.. Do you mind me asking what you'll be doing for a job at penn?

thanks

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

The best times to find an apartment in Philadelphia is in April through August. That's because the students rent from June-June or September-September, and they will have just given notice of impending vacancy.

That's not to say it is difficult to find something, just that your choices will be more limited. If you are willing to live in a clean, well maintained, not particlularly stylish, older apartment with very cheap rent, I can provide you with details of a particular excellent landlord who has many, many apartments in the Center City West area, which is walking distance to Penn, and a vey safe, somewhat hip area. Again, the apartments are nothing fancy (to put it nicely), but he does have a range of units from really not great to pretty interesting in a good way. He'll show you the lesser ones first.

The advantage to renting with him is that he almost always has several aprtments available, it will give you months to look for something you like better, while not paying a fortune in rent, and you will still have decent, clean, well-maintained quarters in a good neighborhood convenient to work. He usually is willing to work out odd leases (he rents to a lot of struggling artists, actors, waiters, waitresses, and an assortment of otherwise eccentric characters. The common characteristic is they don't have much money.)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

The Philadelphia Weekly free newspaper usually has the best apartment listings. You can browse online for free as well www.phillyweekly.com

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

H-

I currently work at Penn and live in University City. Here are three realtors that specialize in University City: www.urbanbye.com, www.odonnellre.com, and www.oncommonground.com. I know Urban and Bye and Odonnell have extensive rental listings.

In addition, take a look at Penn's Housing department here: http://www.upenn.edu/campus/housing.php. There are a number of resources available to you there.

if you have any specific questions about the neighborhood, feel free to ask.

8. Re: Moving to Philly, looking for temp accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, August 24, 2009