We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

England
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

I am going to be in Philadelphia for a few days in a couple of weeks and want to be sure I am going to the best places... can you help? Where would you eat your one meal in Philadelphia?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

Budakkhan

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

I'd have my "special event" meal at Le Bec Fin. I'd have my "taste of local Philly" meal at Tony Luke's.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

If you mean top-of-the-line splurge, the answer is Vetri, 1312 Spruce Street. Innovative Italian unlike anything you've had before. Very small so make your reservation now. Not a red gravy joint (though Philly has some excellent restaurants of that ilk, as well). see vetriristorante for more info

If you want to capture the essence of Philadelphia through food then head straight for the Reading Terminal Market. It is a microcosm of Philly. Great food, great vibe. see readingterminalmarket.com

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
367 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

If money is no object, Le Bec Fin-if money is a serious object, then Lynn's advice is good-the Reading Terminal Market with all kinds of lunch only choices

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

I have to add my two cents regarding Le Bec Fin. It is a superb restaurant - French haute cuisine. They have a prix fix lunch that's great value and the best part of a meal there is the unbelievable dessert cart.

However, my first choice for that type of food is The Fountain in the Four Seasons Hotel.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

Talk about the IMPOSSIBLE question! One place to eat in Philly? I don't know where to begin...

I'd say any of the following that you can get a reservation, barring money not being an object. these would be my preferences, in order:

Le Bec Fin (French haute cuisine)

Vetri (innovative Northern Italian)

The Fountain Room at the Four Seasons (Continental cuisine)

If you like something a tad more eclectic, Buddakan is an excellent choice for Asian fusion and Morimoto for Japanese/sushi.

Striped Bass is very special for its seafood.

Make sure you visit the Reading Terminal Market, though - Lynn was right on the money with that one.

Good luck, happy eating in Philly!!!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

I would say try any Steven Starr restaurant....I haven't hit them all yet but I have gone to the majority of them and have never had a bad meal. He has one for just about any taste of food you would be interested in.

http://www.starr-restaurant.com/

hudson, new york
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

Please help with a recommendation for a restaurant in Old City for Tuesday August 8, my husband's birthday. He loves over-sized martinis, and smokes (still, I know). If the weather cools down, would like to eat outside (in the back, garden type?). Please only recommend "fabulous" food - Italian, Indian or Thai. Thanks to all.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

For a trendy indian Cafe spice is great, and the leche martinis are the best.

If you are looking for an off the beaten path place, and want a great meal I would try astral planed or friday saturday sunday.

nj
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you could eat one meal in Philly -- where would it be?

Skip Jack's Down Home Diner at the Reading Terminal. It is unspeakably filthy.