We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding rush hour

Harrisonburg...
6 posts
1 review
Avoiding rush hour

We are planning to travel from Virginia (a five-hour trip) to the Philadelphia Flower Show on March 5-6. We'll be taking the Pa Turnpike to get to Philly, staying at the downtown Marriott. What's the best time to travel to avoid morning and evening rush hour? We want to see as much of the Flower Show as possible over two days and want to plan our arrival and departure to avoid traffic if possible.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
151 reviews
1. Re: Avoiding rush hour

Coming northbound, avoid 7-9:30 AM. Most of the rest of the day should be reasonably OK avoid 4:30 to 6 pm if you can just for traffic inside the city). That said, Turnpike? Typically I come up 95 from VA. The turnpike will take you WAY out of your way. if you are where I think you are.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,896 posts
97 reviews
2. Re: Avoiding rush hour

If coming from Harrisonburg, 81 to the PA Turnpike is the right way to go.The rush hour times to avoid are as Loonbeam posted, even if coming from the west. We have two-way (all directions) rush hours, especially in the PM.

Harrisonburg...
6 posts
1 review
3. Re: Avoiding rush hour

Thanks for the info! I'm in the western part of Virginia so the turnpike is a quicker route, also less costly due to tolls.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
4. Re: Avoiding rush hour

Looking at a good 5+hours of driving, more with stops, I think you will be tired when you arrive...It would seem to me a good plan would be to plan to arrive mid-afternoon so that you can check into your hotel and rest/nap prior to venturing over to the flower show. The flower show is open 10 am to 9pm on Mar 5 and 6. So, giving time for a lunch stop along the way I'd say if you depart Harrisonburg around 9am you will get into Philly around 3pm, missing both am and pm rush hours.

Edited: 1:47 pm, March 04, 2014
5. Re: Avoiding rush hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 06, 2015