We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

My husband and I are driving from Chicago to DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia in June to go to these 3 baseball stadiums. Besides the top attractions in those cities, are there any places along the route, just outside these cities, or even in the city itself that would be worth visiting? We aren't huge museum people, but even more nature type parks that are unique, or any sites that are worth taking in? We will be out there for about a week and trying to determine how many nights to stay in each city. Thanks!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

Put Annapolis, MD and Longwood Gardens in PA (www.longwoodgardens.org) on your list. There is a great variety of things to do and see in all three cities, so it would help if you would expand on things that particularly interest you.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

Ringing Rocks Park in Upper Black Eddy, Bucks County, PA, about 75 minutes north of Philadelphia:

visitphilly.com/outdoor-activities/…

While in the area, you can check out New Hope (cute town) and Washington Crossing Historic Park.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

I second Longwood Gardens. It is gorgeous.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

If I understand your question, you are interested in things outside philadelphia rather than in the city itself. Check out this list of day trips from philly and see if anything interests you. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s407/Philadelp…

For information on things to do in Philadelphia itself, check this link to general tourist info. http://www.visitphilly.com. There is more to do than museums. What are your ages and interests outside of baseball?

Edited: 8:35 am, February 16, 2014
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

I suggest B&O Railroad Museum in Balto http://www.borail.org/ it is less than a mile from Camden Yards. And it's been over a decade since their roof collapse from a blizzard …baltimoresun.com/2013-02-14/news/bs-md-roun…

And heading out of Balto, this is route includes two parks and leads directly to Longwood Gardens. Follow i95 to Exit67B & make the 1st right at a traffic signal onto Honeygo Blvd, follow that to Bel Air Rd [Rt1] & make a right [you wont have much of a choice as Honeygo dead ends on the other side of Bel Air Rd]. And as you go down the hill, on your left is Gunpowder Lodge http://thegunpowderlodge.com/ this place even has outdoor tables on a deck right at the park's edge. And Gunpowder State Park is just a bit further down that hill. There is parking and an entrance to Big Gunpowder Falls State Park …state.md.us/publiclands/pdfs/GFSP_big1.pdf There is walking trails along the river and, depending on flow, spots you can cross Big Gunpowder on stepping stones, if the flow is too heavy, use the pedestrian bridge next to Rt1. Rt1 is pretty much rural from here, be sure to take the Bel Air bypass.

If you want to rock climb Rocks State Park dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/rocks.asp can be gotten to off of Rt1. Just be sure to make a left at Rocks Spring Rd [Rt24] ~ which actually means going on cloverleaf offramp. And further up Rt1, there is Conowingo Dam, and you just may have a good chance at seeing a Bald Eagle or more. I'm going to point to another post tripadvisor.com/…55984109 and pull some info over here >> Head east on US 1 to the Conewingo Dam. Just prior to crossing the dam turn right onto Shuresville Road. FOllow that for about 1 mile until you come to a hard left hand turn (almost a U-turn) onto Shurelanding Road. This will take you down to Fishermans Park below the dam where on almost any day you will be able to see bald eagles as well as many other type large birds like herons and osprey as well as numerous waterfowl. THere is also a large flock of resident vultures. Watch out where you park. THere are oftem birders with scopes who will point out vaious birds and ask if you want to take a look at something thay have spotted.

One other point of interest along route 1 is the Herrs Snack factory tour in Nottingham which is just after crossing into PA on US 1.

http://www.herrs.com/snackfactorytours.html << Once you cross into PA, Rt1 becomes a 4~lane divided highway, and there is the Herrs snack Factory Tour just over the PA line [I've never been to it]. And the 4~lane divided highway will end right at Longwood Gardens. Longwood Gardens will be on your left. This route offers some parks & greenery & birds & will also save y'all $12 in tolls. To get to Philly from Longwood Gardens, make a left onto Rt1, follow Rt1 to Rt322 East & this will split at the end onto i95, you will choose i95 North. And the stadiums are just over Girard Point Bridge en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girard_Point_Bridge

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

I would also recommend Longwood Gardens.

In Glen Mills is the Newlin Grist Mill. While there is a small museum in the mill, I think you would really enjoy walking around the beautiful park that surrounds the mill.

www.newlingristmill.com

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

The Newlin Grist Mill is very interesting. Check in advance for tour times.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,394 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

Since baseball is your core purpose, maybe check out Ripken field along 95S - very nice minor league stadium with great food.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,394 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

Forgot to add link:

www.milb.com/schedule/index.jsp?sid=t488

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do around Baltimore, Philadelphia, and DC

Since you mention nature, I will add one other possible stop along the route 1 route - Conewingo Dam.

There is a park at the base of the dam that prety much guarantees that you will see a bald eagles, ospreys, herrons and other numerous waterfowl. You will proablly see birders with scopes who will gladly point out birds of interest and let you take a look. Watch where you park because of the resident vulture flock. There are restrooms there.

To get to it you turn right just before crossing the dam, drive about 1 mile on that road and make a hard left hand turn (almost a U-turn) onto the road that leads down to the park.