We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Performing Arts events

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Performing Arts events

Can anyone tell me what sort of classical & jazz music or theater performances will be in Philadelphia from May 13-May 24 2014. I will be in town sometime during that time period to do some sightseeing & also catch the show Woody Sez in the northern suburbs (someone I know cowrote & directed) but I do like to spend my evenings catching the performing arts. I remember someone sent me a link when I hadn't narrowed down my dates in May & I remember TF3 & a classical pianist were performing in May but I don't know if they fit my new narrower perameters.

Thanks for your help.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Performing Arts events

here is the link to major performing arts venues tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20641-Performi…

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Performing Arts events

The problem with that link is that I don't see a unified calendar for all the performing arts, just a bunch of individual links. Apparently, there is no unified performing arts calendar in Philly like there is here in Syracuse & I can't find a calendar of events that will let me look at a range of dates, just individual dates.

I was hoping there was a fellow arts nut on the forum that could give me the 411. It wouldn't be a long list because it's at the end of the regular season.

I did check out TF3's calendar & they're performing on Mother's Day in Philly but, since my mother is alive & I have a symphony performance here in Syracuse the day before, that date won't work out which is a shame because I love me a good classical garage band.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Performing Arts events

cyblume, if you click each individual link you can get to the calendar of events for each venue. I don't know any other way of doing it than spending the time to look at each venue. We previously did discuss that there is no overall calendar.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Performing Arts events

You can see the whole month of May at the Kimmel Center at this link. www.kimmelcenter.org/events/index.php…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Performing Arts events

You can also search ticketmaster by date range and Philly area. ticketmaster.com/browse/…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Performing Arts events

Also, for theater that tends to appeal to a mainstream audience, check the Walnut Street Theater, they will be running their production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. walnutstreettheatre.org/season/succeed.php

Edited: 11:33 am, February 12, 2014
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Performing Arts events

www.ardentheatre.org/2014/incorruptible.html

Running through May 22

On May 20 at the American Philosophical Society, a piano quartet performance hosted by the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society.

pcmsconcerts.org/concerts/…

Monday Night Jazz Jams at The World Cafe on May 19

And the Philadelphia Museum of Art hosts concerts on Friday evenings called Art after Five. The schedule is not up yet for May.

There are some author events at the Free Library, Christopher Buckley on the 15th and Michael Cunningham on the 22nd

Bookmark the site Ars Nova Philadelphia, They don't have any listings yet for May but I just saw a terrific jazz trio (Tootie Heath on drums, Ethan Iverson from The Bad Plus on piano) at the Phila Art Alliance.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Performing Arts events

Thanks all. Someone sent me a link to the Philly Fun Guide & there was a vocal music concert listed on the 18th. Now I have choices to make which is very appreciated.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Performing Arts events

I just tried to get a ticket from the American Philosophical 's website but the concert on May 20th wasn't listed. Is this someplace where I can easily obtain a ticket at the door?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,596 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Performing Arts events

I just tried to book a ticket at the Arden Theater for 5/22. They seem to be sold out (it's opening night). Any chance I could pick up a ticket at the door or is that a performance that is sold out on subscription?

Thanks.