We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

NJ
3 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

Hi - we are going into Philly tomorrow to see the Lion King at the Kimmel Center. I've been seeing so much about the violence going on in Philly, that I've gotten myself all worried. We normally have always felt very safe in Center City around the museums and such. Can anyone give me some tips on getting around in this area as we will probably get in early and have time to walk around. Also, is the parking at the Kimmel Center hard to get into? If not, where are the safest parking garages around that area.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

creativegirl,

I really have no business replying to your post because I live in Fort Worth and I am on this forum to plan for a business trip to Philly in Oct. But, since no one has responded I can tell you what I have discovered with the reading and searching I have done recently. Everything that I have seen regarding Center City is that it is very safe, bearing in mind that you must always use common sense, etc. I hope that your family has a wonderful time on their adventure.

Allison

Newtown
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

Well first, I believe the Lion King is at the Academy of Music not the Kimmel Center. You could still park at the Kimmel Center, it is just a couple of blocks south of the Academy. I wouldn't worry about the violence, the Ave of the Arts area tends to be one of the safest. There are several other parking garages right around the area, so you shouldn't have any problem finding parking. Its right on Broad St so you can easily walk up Broad St to City Hall and the Parkway.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

From what I've been keeping up with online, the crime has been happening outside Center City so you should be fine, common street wisdom notwithstanding.

For parking, check out www.philapark.org. Immediately below under the "find parking" section, click on "popular destinations" then on "entertainment". Both the Kimmel and Academy of Music are listed there.

Tony

NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

I just had to come back and write about what a WONDERFUL day we had in Philly to see the Lion King. It was an amazing show, what a beautiful theater the Academy of the Arts is. The gas lit lanterns make it so beautiful.

Everyone was right in that we felt very safe and secure on the Avenue of the Arts. We parked in the Bellevue Parking garage which is right next door to the Academy so it was very convenient. I like the park and lock facilities better because I always hate handing over our keys to someone we don't know.

Anyway - we got into town early and had time to grab a quick bite to eat. We did it at an Italian restaurant across the street from the theater. I don't remember the name of it now, but it was the only one and hopefully someone does and can post it. Anyway - we walked in just before 12 and asked our waitress if we would have enough time to get something to eat quickly so we could make our show. She assured us we did and would get us in and out quickly.

Much to our surprise we found out they were running a Lion King special where you would get one free kids meal with every regular entree ordered. So both our kids meals were free and we were out by 12:40 with enough time to cross the street and get seated before the show. The food was great - we would have loved to have had more time to sample some of the amazing desserts they had!

I'm always amazed at the beautiful architecture of the cities old buildings. All the marble and granite are gorgeous. Also how with a good map, center city is very easy to navigate and find your way.

All in all it was a wonderful day!

Now we will wait for King Tut to come next year to the Franklin Institute to plan our next trip.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

Creativegirl:

Thanks for the post and I'm so glad you had a great time in Philly. The first time my daughter went to the Academy of Music she said "Mommy, it's beauuuuuutiful!!!"

The restaurant may have been Upstaires at Valalli or Sotto Varalli, both at the corner of Locust and Broad. Or, in the middle of the block is Italian Bistro.

A bit of advice: whenever you have a garage attendant or valet park your vehicle give him only your car key (it helps to have a spare key just for that purpose). Though rare, there are some individuals who would copy your house keys. Recently in the news was a story about a women stalked by the garage attendant where she worked. Scarey stuff!

Lynn

NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

Thanks Lynn - Yesa it was the Italian Bistro across the street. I want to give props where its due, because they were great!

Yes - when we use an attendant lot, we only give him the valet key and lock up the glove box because the valet key won't work for that. That way they can't get any of your personal info hopefully!

I definitely prefer the park and lock though.

My kids are still raving about the Lion King. It really was just so wonderful, it's made me dig out the CD again to listen to.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

Glad to see you found a comfortable place to park to start off your fun family day!

Tony

Alburtis, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

creativegirl...I was wondering if you could help me? I'd like to take my kids to see Mickey's Magic Show at the Academy of music but can only afford the amphitheater seats. Ar ethey too far away from the stage to really see a show? I've never been there and am trying to find out before I purchase the tickets. I'd hate for my kids to be diappointed if Mickey looked like the size of an ant-LOL!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
281 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

"I'd like to take my kids to see Mickey's Magic Show at the Academy of music but can only afford the amphitheater seats. Are they too far away from the stage to really see a show? I've never been there and am trying to find out before I purchase the tickets. I'd hate for my kids to be diappointed if Mickey looked like the size of an ant-LOL!"

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but I was recently in the amphitheater seats for the ballet, and it wasn't too bad. Not like, say, the upper levels of a Sixers game, where the players do indeed look like ants. I think the biggest complaint from your kids would be a balking action when they walk through the doors and get a load of the steep stairs down to their seats.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Center City around Kimmel Center

I have been in the ampitheater with my then 5 year old daughter and she was terrified by those stairs. She kept saying to me, "Mommy, next time - (and pointing) - we are getting seats down THERE!)

Suzanne