We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotwire

I have a question about Hotwire. After reading this forum, I went on Hotwire to get a room in Philadelphia for August 22-26. Last week they had a 3.5 star in the Historic District, so it must have been the Sheraton Society Hill. It was $69 last week but I was not ready to commit yet. Now it has gone to $148. What I don't know is this: what are the chances of it going back down, or will it only go higher?

Thanks.

Frances

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotwire

Frances,

I'm not an expert on Hotwire, but I think the law of supply and demand applies. My assumption is that the hotel had many rooms available when you saw the lower price. Once a bunch of them were reserved the price went up. I imagine that if there are a number of cancellations or if rooms remain available as August 22 nears, the price will go down. If more rooms are taken, it could conceivably go higher but i've rarely seen it over $148.

Good luck.

Lynn

Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire

Thanks for the response, Lynn. Think I'll wait a little while and see what happens.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire

While you're waiting for the price on Hotwire to decline, you might try bidding on Priceline, starting at $50 and going up $5 every 3 days. You may be able to get something on Priceline for $69, which would be a very good deal, and there's no guarantee that Hotwire will have that rate again for the dates you want.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire

Thanks Bargainhunter. I was thinking of doing that but after reading posts in this forum and looking at the websites like betterbidding.com, I have to admit I was a little intimidated by all the instructions! I think I'll try it.

Frances

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire

Just read all the fine print carefully. Nothing can be changed or refunded after you commit. You can't specify a room with two beds or a view and be sure you'll get it. Bidding on priceline will almost certainly get you a better deal than hotwire.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire

Frances:

What follows is some help from another local advisor, Suzanne (mccarthys5) on how to use Priceline.

Lynn

How to use Priceline:

www.priceline.com

Click option for hotels and then "Save More - Name Your Own Price"

Window will come up. Destination is Philadelphia, PA (or wherever you want to go), but I will base this model on Philly

Enter your check-in/check-out dates

Choose your area of stay - ONLY choose Downtown Philadelphia

Choose star level for hotel - ONLY choose either 3* or 4*

Name Your Own Price - this is where I use Expedia - I check their website for the same dates of stay, and see what the hotels are going for. For example, if the lowest 3* hotel is $120, I'll bid 50% off - $60 - it really does help give a more realistic bid. If the prices are inflated for some reason (like everything is $200+), you probably are not going to get a hotel for less than $100 - I can't say it doesn't happen, but the chances are slim

Give them your name and credit card info

If your bid is accepted, the will immediately charge your card

Here is a listing of the hotels that have been "won" on Priceline in recent times (courtesy of betterbidding.com) in downtown Philly:

4*

Hyatt Regency Penn's Landing

Loews

Omni Hotel Independence Park

Park Hyatt at the Bellevue

Sofitel

Westin

3*

Club Quarters

Crowne Plaza

Doubletree Hotel

Embassy Suites

Hilton Garden Inn

Holiday Inn Historic District

Marriott Philadelphia Downtown

Radisson Warwick

Sheraton City Center (was the Wyndham until about a month ago)

Sheraton Society Hill

Just be aware when you bid at the star levels (either 4* or 3*), you could potentially end up with any of these hotel, so I'd say, you need to be comfortable with the list. They can also add hotels at any given time, but even at the 3* level, it would be hard to get burned in Philly with anything that isn't on the list - this isn't NYC, there aren't like 800 hotels to choose from like in Manhattan.

This is a start for anyone attempting to use Priceline. If you go to www.betterbidding.com, they do a great job over there explaning the process and the more intricate things you can do: i.e. free rebid zones if your bid gets rejected, splitting bids, etc...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotwire

I was able to get the Sheraton Society Hill on Hotwire today at $70 per night for the dates I needed. I tried Priceline but my bids were rejected starting at $50 and going up to $70 for four stars. In the meantime, the price on Hotwire came back down, so it worked out fine.

My daughter is starting school at Temple on August 28, and we're looking forward to seeing some of Philadelphia before moving her in.

Eastern PA
Level Contributor
268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotwire

Sounds like a good deal.

Not sure if you know that you can ask for a "Temple Rate" when calling the chains 800 numbers or the hotels themselves.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotwire

No, I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks.