We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia City centre shopping?

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Philadelphia City centre shopping?

Hello all,

We are staying in New York in December and are planning on making a day trip to Philadelphia.

My main objective is to see the Rocky statue and steps, so can do this from 30th Street Station, but my girlfriend would like to look round some shops whilst we are there. Am I right in thinking the main city centre shops are not near 30 Street Station?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

here is info on shopping tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i38151-Shopping…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

This Phila fabric designer's studio does a pop-up shop on 3rd St in Old City. Well worth the trip as all items are up to 75% off retail. Amazing scarves, home goods etc.

www.kevinobrienstudio.com/scarveshawl.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

Thanks for the list of shopping districts, I will take a look.

I suppose the main thing from our perspective is to find somewhere we can easily get to from 30 Street Station, I suppose everywhere is just a subway ride away.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

Philadelphia is a very compact city. To get from 30th St Station to the Old CIty area you would just take the Market Frankford line to 2nd St, a very short ride.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

The list posted above is excellent and on point. I would recommend Walnut St. in the Rittenhouse area. Very easy to reach via Septa.

Edited: 2:17 am, November 18, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

Am I correct in thinking that our Amtrak train tickets for our journey between NYC and Philly will also allow us to use the SEPTA trains for free?

Ideally we would like to go to a part of the city that offers both shopping and maybe some sights to see, just somewhere to walk around and experience part of the city, so the Old City area sounds like it might be the best place for this?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

Yes and not. Your AMTRAK ticket will allow you to ride to and from 30th Street station on the Regional Rail. You can take SEPTA regional rail to Suburban Station or Market East and vice versa. The AMTRAK ticket will not allow you to ride SEPTA buses or subways. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s302/Philadelp…

Edited: 7:04 am, November 18, 2013
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

Your AMTRAK ticket is good for one trip on the Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and either Suburban Station or Market East. The latter is closest to the main historic sites.

Edited: 7:39 am, November 18, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

When you say one trip, is that one return trip so it will get us there and back to 30th Street?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Philadelphia City centre shopping?

Unless you're specifically looking for the famous historical sites, I think Rittenhouse may be as good a destination for what you're looking for: shops, restaurants, nice architecture, and a lively district centered on the park. If you're up for a modest walk, you won't need SEPTA. From 30th Street Station, it's about a 15 minute walk to the start of the shopping area on Walnut Street.