We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

Hi,

In December, my Boyfriend and I will be visiting Philadelphia for the first time (very excited) and then travelling on to New York. We have been trying to book transport between the two cities - one way - but seem to keep coming up against luggage restrictions. We will have two suitcases between us (luggage allowance on plane is 25Kg so each suitcase will be somewhere around this weight) but when looking on Amtrak, although the 2 stations have baggage check facilities, there are no Philly - NYC journeys that will allow luggage. We then looked at The Greyhound buses but seem to come up against the same problem - accept this time luggage is allowed but only up to 62 in (total measurement). Am I reading all of this incorrectly or is it really difficult to travel by land from Philly to NYC?

If anyone has any experience of this your help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Fiona

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

Amtrak trains that do not offer baggage services DO allow luggage, they just don't check it. That said, luggage space on the trains can be tightso finding a place to put large suitcases can be a challenge. It depends on what the size is if they will fit in the overhead racks on NJT. Amtrak has a small space in some cars for standing luggage, hopefully you can find a seat near them.

Phl and NYP both offer checked baggage service on the Amtrak website, so you should be able to check you bags.

The bag size limit on Amtrak is: 2 Bags — 50 lbs. — 28" x 22" x 14" Each

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

Thank you for your response. At least I now know that luggage is allowed - I have found the whole thing very confusing! Do they check luggage sizes as I think that my suitcase will be bigger than the size limit?

Fiona

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

They don't check per se, but if it doesn't fit on the overhead rack (for carry on) you get to keep it on your lap for a few hours if no empty seats.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

Amtrak does not measure bags or make any other effort to enforce its stated baggage restrictions, which are generous (have you measured your bags?). If you can get your bags here on a plane, you can take them on Amtrak. As Loonbeam said, you'll have to carry them yourself, or you can get assistance from a Red Cap. If you use a Red Cap, you should tip generously.

I believe checked baggage is allowed on a few trains.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

Here's the bottom line on AMTRAK Phila-NYC luggage. The rules are not enforced. Take whatever you want. You will only have a problem finding a place for it during heavy holiday travel times, and maybe on Friday afternoons. The next heavy travel time will be November 27 and a little bit on the 26th. then again on Sunday, December 1. After that, the next heavy period will be December 20th through January 5th.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

I've seen Amtrak crack down a bit on really large suitcases going down to the platforms. I don't know if those people were directed to check baggage or what...

7. Re: Land Travel from Philadelphia to New York with luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 13, 2014