We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

Ipswich, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

Hi All

We are you mid-late 30's guys looking to come to philly during an elongated visit to NYC next May.

I suppose the info im looking for is best if I describe the sort of places we like and are used to in NYC

We normally stay in a compact but very comfortable budget hotel in East Village and hangout around the bars in East Village and Greenwich Village by night.

During our next visit to NYC we are planning on visiting Philly midweek, probably tuesday-friday. where are the best places in city for bars, nightlife, and within walking distance of a decent but budget hotel???

Please help... Im struggling!

Cheers!

Kevin

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
822 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

Check out the Alexander Inn. Its centrally located and affordable by Philly standards.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

I agree with suggestion of Alexander Inn. It is located in the neighborhood that is known alternately as Midtown Village, Washington Square West, and colloquially as the "Gayborhood." There will be plenty of activity and bars to choose from. Let us know if you have more specific interests.

Edited: 10:02 am, October 08, 2013
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
822 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

I would like to point out that although it is located in the "Gayborhood". There are plenty of different types of bars, and restaurants in the area. Not just gay friendly activities.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

true. The OP mentioned the East Village which was what made me think possibly he was looking for info on the gay scene.

Edited: 10:55 am, October 08, 2013
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

we are a gay friendly city after all www.visitphilly.com/c/gay/…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

http://philly.thedrinknation.com/

Bar Guide by ambience, cost, area, happy hours etc.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

Center City is relatively compact and very pedestrian friendly. It is easy to walk from most Center City hotels to the tourist sites, bars, and restaurants. I also think Alexander Inn is a good suggestion.

What is your hotel budget?

Edited: 10:54 pm, October 08, 2013
Ipswich, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

We are both straight guys!!!! Looking for wine women and song.

Hotel budget about 70 bucks per room per night.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

The only way to get a decent hotel in a decent location for anywhere close to $70 a night is to bed on Priceline or to go with a secret sale on Priceline or Hotwire. Either way, you won't know the name of the hotel until you've paid, and your reservation will be prepaid, non-changeable, and nonrefundable.

Unless you're willing to do that, $70 a night is a totally unrealistic budget for a hotel in Philadelphia at any time. (Where do you stay in New York for that price?) May is a particularly expensive time for hotels. College graduations and other big events fill up hotels and drive up prices.

The Alexander Inn, which others recommended, doesn't seem to vary its rates with demand the way most hotels do, so it may be a good place to look for a May visit. It's often one of the least expensive hotels in Center City but it will be well over your budget. Note that taxes add 15.2% to listed hotel rates.

Ipswich, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 English Guys, Midweek visit. From NYC to Philly

Apologies, 70 bucks each