We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Government shutdown is throwing a wrench in our plans

Livingstin County...
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Government shutdown is throwing a wrench in our plans

7 extended family members are visiting Philadelphia over Columbus Day weekend. There are four adults and 3 9-11 year old cousins. We plan a trip every fall,somewhere between upstate NY and Washington DC to decrease drive times for both families. The kids are all into history right now so we picked Philly. Now we are trying to regroup and we have a couple of transportation questions.

We are staying at the Homewood Suites on City Ave, which now I know, following more planning is not convenient, but it fit our budget, included breakfast, and has a pool so... Are there any good places for dinner or ordering in near there? What would you recommend for getting from the hotel to the tourist area? Parking there sounds expensive.

Our plan for Friday night is to just go to the hotel and relax.

Saturday we will probably get moving around 10. We thought we would park near the constitution center. I am thinking the constitution museum might be good since we can't do independence hall. Should we do the museum first or the hop on-hop off? We figured we would get off and go to Reading Terminal for lunch. We were also wondering about whether we can wander around and see the outsides of buildings around independence hall and I heard we can look in a window and see the Liberty Bell? The other things we thought we might do are the city hall observation area, carpenters hall, and Betsy Ross's house. Is this doable and would this be enough history/interesting to 9-11 year olds? Is there something else you would recommend instead? Saturday night we will relax by the pool.

On Sunday we will probably get going around 10 again and go to the Franklin Museum. Is there another activity you would also recommend or will this take the majority of the day? Half the group leaves after dinner on Sunday.

Thank you

We are looking at doing a one day Philadelphia pass for Saturday.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Government shutdown is throwing a wrench in our plans

Have you read this thread about the effects of the government shutdown? Lynn and Rocknroll provide details about what's open and closed.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60795-i113-k68863…

If for some reason you can't switch to a hotel in Center City, I think driving is probably the best way to get from City Avenue to Center City, especially on a weekend. You are correct that parking is expensive. You can use Best Parking to look at options and compare prices:

philadelphia.bestparking.com

I would go to the Constitution Center before a bus tour. I'd rather see a museum when I'm fresh and sit on a bus when I'm tired.

The Mutter Museum, which is a collection of medical oddities and artifacts, might pair well with the Franklin Institute. They're not far apart.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Government shutdown is throwing a wrench in our plans

ruralgirl,

There are plenty of restaurants within a short drive of the Homewood on City Ave. It is a suburban area so expect to drive, not walk. For seven people it is more economical to drive into the city and park rather than tak public transit (the regional rail is $5 one way per person).

Without knowing what kind of food/restaurant you are looking for, a couple of places that I might recommend that would be good for a group are:

Chun Hing (Chinese, near hotel) yelp.com/biz/…crnJZrJhdmLBPFnAXaFqrQ

The New Tavern (American, a short drive to Merion) yelp.com/biz/…S4JTejuxBgwVwR5UxHWUXQ

In Riva (Italian/Pizza, across the river in East Falls) http://www.yelp.com/biz/in-riva-philadelphia

Mama's Pizzeria (Cheesesteaks, on Belmont Ave) www.yelp.com/biz/mamas-pizzeria-bala-cynwyd

There are a number of chain restaurants in the area as well. Let me know if you have more specific criteria for restaurants.

As to attractions in the city, you could also do the Eastern State Penitentiary or the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Edited: 9:25 pm, October 04, 2013
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Government shutdown is throwing a wrench in our plans

also I forgot, Hymie's Merion Deli would be a good reasonable choice as well http://barsonsdeli.com/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Government shutdown is throwing a wrench in our plans

Here is another rlist of things to do in Philly if the shutdown continues - newsworks.org/index.php/…

5. Re: Government shutdown is throwing a wrench in our plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 09, 2014