We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
81 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
"The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

"The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel anyone stayed at / visited both and have a preference? Tey both are in similar location, price, parking situation, Trip Advisor ranking / writeups, etc... Imagine I cant go wrong with either but like to pick the slightly better of the two...

Traveling couple from DC (former Philly area boy) going to catch part of the HOSR regatta down boathouse row then show her the touristy parts of the town with this as our base for a weekend...

Thanks for any first hand experience with the hotels you might have to share...

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

I don't have personal experience but there is very good feedback on this forum from people who stayed at the Alexander Inn.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

I have seen rooms at both. The Independent's look a little bigger, if I remember correctly. Alexander Inn has a staffed front desk. The Alexander Inn block is a little quieter, The Independent a little closer to bars and nightlife. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

I stayed at The Independent in December 2012 and loved it. The Independent also has a staffed front desk, at least when I was there. The room rate includes free wine and cheese reception and a continental breakfast delivered to your room in the mornings. Location is great, service was helpful and knowledgeable and room was unique, comfortable and very reasonably priced.

Have no knowledge of the Alexander Inn, other than the excellent reviews it gets on Trip Advisor, which actually made me consider it for a stay as well. As oedipamaas41 said, you likely will be happy with either.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

The Alexander Inn price includes a breakfast buffet as well as 24-hour fresh fruit and snacks.

Edited: 12:10 am, October 03, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
81 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

thanks everyone, very helpful.... in the end bed size avaialbility turned out to be the determing factor for dates of our travel...

6. Re: "The Independent" vs "Alexander Inn" Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 05, 2014