We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Philadelphia in November

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Philadelphia in November

Hi , I am thinking of travelling to Philadelphia to spend approx 5 days somewhere new and discover a new place whilst I am there visiting son in NYC. Wondering can anyone suggest any other interesting things to do for a solo traveller apart from some day visits to the main points of interest I can find out about....the main food market looks so interesting I have read. Besides the main visitors attractions, it would be nice to mix with the locals a little, people watch, eat some really good food., walk in a park? perhaps is there a great micro brewery , even though I am not a big beer drinker but would like to try, etc. Would it be better to stay in the centre or are there nice little places close by I could easily get public transport to and from. Also wondering how this will be in late November weather-wise? Any little pieces of info that would help make this interesting and fun travelling solo, thanks

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

Please see our things to do FAQ and suggested itineraries, then we can help you narrow things down.

As far as beer, there are a lot of decent options, once you decide where to stay in the city, can suggest ones close to your hotel to start.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

Thanks Loonbeam, I know its general to start but will go to the suggested itineraries, I just remembered one of the main things I meant to state - as it is Thanksgiving in that week - does that mean the place will be rather 'deserted, that day and some places closed? I was concerned as the dates I can only work into my schedule was 23-28th Nov.- the week of Thanksgiving.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

There is a large parade on Thanksgiving Day in Philly and many attractions may be closed that particular day. However, you can always plan to enjoy the parade! Make your hotel reservations early as that can be a busy/expensive time to book a room, due to the parade.

Parc Restaurant on Rittenhouse Square is a great people watching spot. Take a look at the FAQ's at the top right also the Itineraries section. I'll link you to a couple that might be of interest.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21731-Philadel…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s410/Philadelp…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i38151-Shopping…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-c89902/Philade…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19706-Philadel…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

a couple other ideas-- as you get closer to the date check this blog for things to do http://www.uwishunu.com/

you might consider seeing a play or other performance tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60795-i113-Philad…

lots of art related things to do also tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19760-Art_Love…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

Thanks so much rocknroll52 - I will look into those links to pull more ideas together. I was wondering as this is such a busy time - would I find it particularly difficult to take the train back to NYC on Friday 29th, the day after Thanksgiving?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

Thanks so much rocknroll52 - I will look into those links to pull more ideas together. I was wondering as this is such a busy time - would I find it particularly difficult to take the train back to NYC on Friday 29th, the day after Thanksgiving?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

It's best to stay in Center City, which is Philadelphia's downtown. Check out the FAQ in where to stay for descriptions of the different neighborhoods in Center City and some specific hotel options.

You should buy your train tickets as soon as you can -- now, if possible. The week of Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel times of the year in the U.S., and trains can sell out. Also, Amtrak (train) fares rise as more tickets are sold for a given train.

www.amtrak.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

Thanks for the tips Lauren - will check out and do the train tickets as soon as I have a few things in place. Cheers

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

The day after Thanksgiving isn't usually very bad on AMTRAK. The busiest days are Wednesday and Sunday. Still, you should buy your tickets as far in advance as possible, as the price does go up.

10. Re: First visit to Philadelphia in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 14, 2014