We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Philly to North Jersey

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel from Philly to North Jersey

What is the best way, time-wise, to travel from the Center City area of Philly to North Jersey. My ultimate destination is Dover, NJ. The light rail schedule indicates two transfers and a 5 hour trip. Is this correct? Would bus be a better alternative? Thank you!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Philly to North Jersey

It depends on the time of day. The best travel time is 4 hours, and yes, it is two transfers. Bus is not a viable option. Your best bet is to rent a car, if that is an option for you.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,230 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Philly to North Jersey

Bus will be even slower.

5 hours sounds a bit right, primarily because the line to Dover is not as frequent as some others and you need to change a few times and not all trains stop at Secaucus where the changeover is for that line...

I assume it routed you 30th street (on septa) to Trenton, to Secaucus, to Newark Broad, to Dover?

Edited: 6:10 pm, August 18, 2013
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Philly to North Jersey

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that's the route. Perhaps it will make sense for me to go to Secaucus and pick up a rental car. Not very cost effective though.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Philly to North Jersey

Rent a car in Philadelphia. That is your best option. Enterprise will deliver if you aren't near any rental offices.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Philly to North Jersey

As owlyn recommended, just get a rental car in Philly. Are you arriving at PHL airport?

Edited: 10:47 pm, August 18, 2013
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,230 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Philly to North Jersey

I assumed cost was a factor. Off peak, you are looking at around $16 each way for the train. A rental car will be more than that with gas or tolls, especially if you rent at PHL with the extra airport fees.

7. Re: travel from Philly to North Jersey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 20, 2014