We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

Level Contributor
564 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

My husband and I will be in Philly this Saturday -- we're spending the week-end for our 20th wedding anniversary. We are interested in going to a unique restaurant for our 20th anniversary. We are foodies, so good food is imperative, but I am hoping for a "fun" atmosphere as well. Any suggestions???

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

What do you like? Budget? Where have you already been? For example, Morimotos is great, but pricey and you pretty much have to like Sushi.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

I'm guessing when you say "fun" you are not looking for what I would call a typical special occasion restaurant, though feel free to check my list here tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21075-Philadel… On that list Amada might meet your criteria, don't know whether you can reserve for Saturday this late in the game but worth a try, also Zahav, Barbuzzo, Amis might fit the bill.

There are lots of links on the right with recommended restaurants. Check the FAQ:Favorite Restaurants.

Edited: 9:44 am, July 25, 2013
Level Contributor
564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

By fun, I mean lively! Sort of a party atmosphere. Maybe a place that has singing. Maybe a place where you sit on the floor. Something unique. We eat out at least once a week, so going to a restaurant is really no big deal, unless it's different.

We like the following types of food: Korean, French, Moroccan, Spanish, etc. Our budget is $200, so that should include most places. (I did try to make a reservation for Amada and there was none to be had)

How is the food at Zahav. I find most middle eastern food very bland.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

for "sit on the floor" Morrocan we have Marrakesh, its fun and they usually have belly dancers, though the food itself is fairly average http://www.yelp.com/biz/tashan-philadelphia

If you like highly spiced food I would recommend Tashan, which is a great Indian fusion small plates restaurant that most of Philly hasn't discovered yet, so you can still get a reservation on Saturday night (not a party atmosphere, but a cool design with an open kitchen). http://www.yelp.com/biz/tashan-philadelphia

For French you could do Bistrot La Minette which is very good and will make you feel you are in France yelp.com/biz/…20minette

for Spanish, I think you might still be able to snag a late reservation for Jamonera, that is on a 'fun" street http://www.yelp.com/biz/jamonera-philadelphia

For something unique that you might not see elsewhere we have a new Dutch/Scandinavian restaurant Noord www.yelp.com/biz/noord-eetcafe-philadelphia

Philly is a great foodie town, lots of choices, but you are late to the party making a reservation for Sat night on Thursday. If there is anyway you can move your dinner to Sunday night you will have more choices.

Edited: 10:12 am, July 25, 2013
Level Contributor
564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

I know I am late -- my life story. The Moroccan restaurant sounds like fun and I just made a reservation to be part of the experience! Thank you for your suggestion.....

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

hope you have a great time! My daughter went there with a group of friends for her 18th birthday and had a blast!

Level Contributor
564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

Thank you for the suggestion of Marrakesh -- exectly what I was looking for! It was so much fun. The food was good, the experience was a blast. I strongly recommend this restaurant for a good time. If you have a mobility issues, tell them you need seating on the first floor!

I did end up going to Amada too. They knew it was our anniversary and one round of drinks were on the house, as well as dessert! The food was outstanding!

8. Re: Need Special Occasion REstaurant for Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 30, 2014