We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to philly, staying in suburbs

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving to philly, staying in suburbs

I'm thinking of driving to Philly for this coming weekend with my son and staying in a suburban hotel to avoid paying for parking in the city and not pay airfare. Is there a suburban hotel from which we can travel to the city via mass transit so we don't have to park in the city? Does this approach makes sense?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

family fare on SEPTA for weekends is $12-17 depending on zones

http://www.septa.org/fares/family.html

don't think you'll save much compared to parking right in the city

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

The two closest areas to Center City (downtown) with a concentration of hotels would be the airport area jas well as the City Line area.

The airport area is just a few miles southwest of Center City. There are a variety of hotels, motels and extended stay establishments in the area. All of them should have free surface parking, many of them will offer a shuttle to the airport where you can catch SEPTA's R1 commuter train (www.septa.org) to downtown. It's about a 20-25 minute ride. I would recommend properties within the Philadelphia city limits before considering those across the border in Essington.

The City Line area - which straddles Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties - has perhaps 3 or 4 hotels in the area. At the nearby Overbrook train station, you can catch the R5 train into town (20 minutes as well). I am not sure if any of the hotels offer a shuttle. You can park at Overbrook for a nominal fee ($2 maybe). Alternately, the 44 bus into town will likely pass by your hotel. However, you will have to get comfortable for a 40 minute ride... perhaps more if the traffic is unusally bad on I-76 (Schuykill Expressway).

Round-trip train tickets for you and your son will range from a total of about $15 from City Line to $22 from the airport. Cash fare on the bus would be $8. With this in mind, it may be worth considering staying in Center City after all. If you're open to using Priceline or Hotwire, Suzanne here can direct you towards what properties you are likely to get. The savings may even pay for your parking fees.

Tony

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

Don't know where you are staying, but you can easily commute into the city from NJ. There is a recently remodeled Holiday Inn on Route 70 in Cherry Hill. I have had some friends stay there and they found it perfectly acceptable, but not luxurious. You could drive to the high speed line in Haddonfield, Westmont, or Collingswood in about 5 minutes or so from that hotel. Parking is free, and just get a round trip ticket. Once in the city, you could hoof it, or bus it around town. The train runs regularly, is very clean, safe, and fast. It's called Patco.

Your ride into the city from any of the above stops would be around 15 minutes max.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

The cost of the hotel is what makes the greatest difference.

The best approach is to use Priceline or Hotwire and get a room in the city.

Yes, if you stay outside the city in the suburbs, parking is usually free near the train stations.

However, the point is that the train or bus fare will end up being roughly equal to the parking fee at a lot right in "downtown".

philapark.org/parkinglocator/parking_locator…

If I have limited time, I wouldn't want to be schlepping in and out on a train.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

The cost of the hotel is what makes the greatest difference.

The best approach is to use Priceline or Hotwire and get a room in the city.

Yes, if you stay outside the city in the suburbs, parking is usually free near the train stations.

However, the point is that the train or bus fare will end up being roughly equal to the parking fee at a lot right in "downtown".

philapark.org/parkinglocator/parking_locator…

If I have limited time, I wouldn't want to be schlepping in and out on a train.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate the time all of you took to respond to my question.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

Hi, I checked Hotwire for this upcoming weekend - checking in on Friday (6/23), checking out on Sunday (6/25). Hotels are really expensive for this upcoming weekend. The lowest priced one on Hotwire was $202/night.

I went on Expedia as well for the same dates. Everything is inflated for this upcoming weekend - there must be something big going on. The best I could find was the Radisson Warwick right off of Rittenhouse Square for $160/night. You could still try to Priceline it - I'd start the bidding around $80 (half of the lowest advertised rate) and go from there. Let me know if you need help, happy to assist.

Good luck,

Suzanne

8. Re: driving to philly, staying in suburbs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 14, 2009