We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brandywine river museum

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Topic
Brandywine river museum

Hello,

Going on a roadtrip from hampton inn King of Prussia PA to the Hilton in Columbia MD.

We want to stop and visit Longwood and te Brandywine river Museum. Any sugestions for a hotel in the middle for a one nigth stop?...with good breakfast.....

Thanks

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brandywine river museum

Hi,

Not sure about breakfast at any of these . . .

Closest hotel to BRM -

http://www.brandywineriverhotel.com/ Elegant, small boutique hotel.

Closest hotel to Longwood -- hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml…

Gets pretty decent reviews here on Trip Advisor: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52926-d224438-…

Might be a good choice if you're in the HiltonHonors program.

And I should note that these two hotels are maybe 10 minutes apart if traffic is heavy -- which it seldom is. Hilton is in a more "strip shopping center" environment; BRH is tucked back off Route 1, so would probably feel more "rural" yet close to everything -- the preferred ambience out here.

Other nearby options --

http://www.mendenhallinn.com/Hotel/hotel.htm

Oddly, I think both hotels reviewed here on TA are the same -- there's only one in Mendenhall for sure: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g53161-Mendenhall_Pen…

http://www.fairvilleinn.com/

Although this is called a B&B, it's probably about the same size as the Brandywine River Hotel.

Regardless of where you stay, you should have breakfast at Hank's, corner of Route 1 and Route 100 in Chadds Ford, practically spitting distance from BRM. It's unlikely you'll see Andy Wyeth in the summer, because he's usually in Maine, but he often eats there in the winter because his homestead is just north on Route 100. Jamie reputedly frequented the bar at Chadds Ford Inn, just across the street, but sadly the Inn is in the throes of renovation and is closed.

Have fun!

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brandywine river museum

Thank s for your time Wythany...great info....

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brandywine river museum

You're so welcome! I've been reading some of your other posts, and wow, what a great trip you're planning. I always feel honored when citizens of another country decide to vacation in the U.S. And, of course, since you've chosen to visit my neck of the woods, I'm doubly impressed!

If happen to be a fan of Andrew Wyeth's father, N.C., you might want to visit his studio and home: www.brandywinemuseum.org/ncstudio.html. The studio is just great! Nearby is Brandywine Battlefield, site of one of the biggest battles of our Revolutionary War. (We lost, but it all worked out OK.)

A repository of art by N.C.'s contemporaries, Schoonover and Pyle, is Delaware Art Museum, just 20 minutes down the road. Del. Art Museum also has an exhibit through July 16 of "early and seldom seen works by the young Andrew Wyeth, including watercolors, tempera paintings and illustrated letters." (Everybody's capitalizing on the Philadelphia Art Museum's retrospective.)

Will you be here on a Tuesday, Friday, or Saturday? If so, I hope you can plan to be at Longwood for the lighted fountain display, which starts around 9 p.m. It's wonderful! You can have a nice dinner at Longwood's Terrace Restaurant (dining room, not cafeteria) beforehand. If you want other dinner recommendations, let me know your preferred budget and/or cuisine, and I'd be happy to suggest some options in the area. I think you can visit Longwood during the day, leave for dinner, and then come back for the fountains on the same ticket. If you want me to double check, I'd be happy to do that. My husband volunteers there, and he'll know whom to call.

Sure wish I had some recommendations for outstanding architecture, but I'm afraid this is the land of old colonial buildings on one hand, and McMansions on the other.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brandywine river museum

You're so welcome! I've been reading some of your other posts, and wow, what a great trip you're planning. I always feel honored when citizens of another country decide to vacation in the U.S. And, of course, since you've chosen to visit my neck of the woods, I'm doubly impressed!

If happen to be a fan of Andrew Wyeth's father, N.C., you might want to visit his studio and home: www.brandywinemuseum.org/ncstudio.html. The studio is just great! Nearby is Brandywine Battlefield, site of one of the biggest battles of our Revolutionary War. (We lost, but it all worked out OK.)

A repository of art by N.C.'s contemporaries, Schoonover and Pyle, is Delaware Art Museum, just 20 minutes down the road. Del. Art Museum also has an exhibit through July 16 of "early and seldom seen works by the young Andrew Wyeth, including watercolors, tempera paintings and illustrated letters." (Everybody's capitalizing on the Philadelphia Art Museum's retrospective.)

Will you be here on a Tuesday, Friday, or Saturday? If so, I hope you can plan to be at Longwood for the lighted fountain display, which starts around 9 p.m. It's wonderful! You can have a nice dinner at Longwood's Terrace Restaurant (dining room, not cafeteria) beforehand. If you want other dinner recommendations, let me know your preferred budget and/or cuisine, and I'd be happy to suggest some options in the area. I think you can visit Longwood during the day, leave for dinner, and then come back for the fountains on the same ticket. If you want me to double check, I'd be happy to do that. My husband volunteers there, and he'll know whom to call.

Sure wish I had some recommendations for outstanding architecture, but I'm afraid this is the land of old colonial buildings on one hand, and McMansions on the other.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brandywine river museum

Thank you again Wythany.....The idea of the Terrace restaurant and then the fountains is wonderful....those are the things that create memories for a lifetime....

Westfield, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brandywine river museum

My husband and I did this exact trip last month. We stayed at the Brandywine River Hotel, which was lovely. They DO serve breakfast. The museum is right across the street. Andrew Wyeth's grandaughter, Victoria, gave the group of us there that afternoon a tour of the gallery with his paintings, adding lots of personal anecdotes. I don't believe she is always there, but if you are lucky... The tour of N.C.'s house and studio was also interesting.

I also concur with the poster that recommending the Terrace Restaurant at Longwood Gardens. We ate at the more casual of the two restaurants. The vegetarian chili was so good, my husband went back for a second bowl.

BTW, the BRH has a package that includes tickets to both the museum and Longwood Gardens, and a dinner voucher at The Simon Pierce Restaurant. Adjacent to the restaurant is one of his glassmaking workshops and a store. (That is where your money could disappear if you don't have self-control!)

Enjoy! We visited Longwood Gardens in the morning, spending perhaps 3-4 hours there before we were "flowered" out, the museum after lunch, and then the restaurant in the evening i.e. we fit it all comfortably in one day.

7. Re: Brandywine river museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 13, 2009