We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th septa parking

5 posts
Save Topic
July 4th septa parking

My daughter and her friends are driving to Philly for the 4th to attend the festival and watch fireworks. They will be driving from the VA/DC area but don't want to drive into the city. They want to park away from the congestion and then take public transportation. Here we have commuter parking lots all over the place. I'm not sure how it works there. Could anyone share advice on a safe place where they can park/ride for the event? Thank you in advance.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th septa parking

Where are they staying?

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4th septa parking

They're not staying. They are going to drive up early that day and then leave after the fireworks. If they get tired, she assures me they'll stop somewhere on 95 on the way home....

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4th septa parking

Have they considered taking the train from DC to Philly?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4th septa parking

It's a fairly easy walk from the train station to the fireworks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4th septa parking

Plus you wouldn't have to worry about her being tired driving home. It would likely be safer.

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: July 4th septa parking

Thank you all for your input, I do appreciate it. Trust me, I totally agree and had investigated this for them. The only problem is the total cost per person $160.00 round trip. They all don't have it like that, they're college students. Her "plan" is to drive to the nearest septa lot and take the bus in. I want to try and make sure that the area where she parks is relatively safe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 4th septa parking

Getting back to the car after the festivities is the problem if they park outside of downtown. I would park in another section of downtown and walk or take a bus or cab. We can make suggestions if this idea is appealing.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 4th septa parking

I second the idea of parking somewhere downtown, especially if they are considering eating in Philly (which is not near the fireworks area so much.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
581 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July 4th septa parking

My suggestion would be to take I-95 north to the Washington Ave exit, go down Washington Ave to 20th Street, make a right and continue up to Lombard St, make a left. At 2031 Lombard St there's a 24 hr garage. They will avoid driving thru the bulk of Center City & it's not too far a walk from the concert/fireworks.

Here's a city parking lot map

http://philadelphia.bestparking.com/

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 4th septa parking

I think this is a bad plan. The fireworks don't end until close to midnight. They're going to be driving home a long way home late after a long and tiring day. I think they should get a hotel room.

As for parking, I agree with others' suggestion to park in Center City.