We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary doable?

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
itinerary doable?

Hi all,

Husband and I will arrive PHL 9/14/13 evening for 1 1/2 days. This is my wish list of places to see Sunday 9/15. Liberty Bell Center, Betsy Ross House, Elfreth's Alley, 1st & 2nd Banks, Edgar Allan Poe's house (if open), Powell House (opens at 1 p.m. on 9/15), President's House, National Constitution Center, Christ Church and burial ground, and Reading Terminal for lunch or dinner. We are staying at the airport Hampton Inn and will take SEPTA - Eastwick station (how far is the walk from Hampton Inn to Eastwick?) to Independence Hall area for 9 a.m. tour (tickets purchased) seeing the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier before tour. After tour, would it be better to go to Liberty Bell, Reading Terminal, or Betsy Ross area? How long to allow at Constitution Center? Should we walk from area to area or take public transportation. On Monday, 9/16, we will visit The U.S. Mint, Franklin Post Office, and Mutter museum. Is there parking at Mutter (picking up rental car 9/16 a.m.) or should we take SEPTA again? How long should we allow to see Mutter Museum? Is this itinerary possible? Thank you all for comments or suggestions.

Founding Footsteps
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Patriot Harbor Lines
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Philadelphia Sightseeing Tours
Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary doable?

It's about a 10 min walk to eastwick. be careful crossing 291 as that road often has trucks moving at a high rate of speed or heavy traffic. It's on the same line as the airport station, so you can take the HI shuttle to the airport if it is raining, for example.

Otherwise I'd say your itinerary is heavy, but otherwise doable. It makes more sense to do the Franklin Post Office day 1 given its in the historic district where you will already be and takes about 5-10 mins to cover since Franklin Court is still closed. Also, I might eat lunch in Old City day 1 rather than go out to the RTM and back to save time. Maybe move the rental car pickup to later and do the Mint, RTM and Mutter on Monday...

Edited: 5:21 pm, July 01, 2013
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary doable?

The last time I went to the gift shop of the Mutter Museum -- which, unfortunately, is as far as I've gotten there so far -- I asked the person at the admission desk how long it took to view the collection. He advised planning on at least two hours.

I don't think the museum has parking. You could find a place to park on Best Parking -- philadelphia.bestparking.com -- but I would suggest picking up the rental car when you're ready to leave Philadelphia.

Edited: 5:41 pm, July 01, 2013
3. Re: itinerary doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 03, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question