We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PHL airport to NY Penn Station

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
PHL airport to NY Penn Station

Best and economical way to travel from PHL airport to NY Penn Station.

I am returning rental car at PHL airport around 5PM.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

You can take the SEPTA Regional Rail Airport line train from the airport to 30th Street Station. From there, you can take an Amtrak train to Penn Station in New York. The SEPTA fare is $7. The Amtrak fare will depend on the train you choose and when you buy your ticket. If you buy far enough in advance, tickets for the regional trains could be as low as $36.

Alternatively, you can take the Airport line to 30th Street and from there take the SEPTA Regional Rail Trenton line to Trenton, N.J. In Trenton, you can switch to a New Jersey transit train that will take you to New York. This way is cheaper than taking Amtrak, but it's also slower.

For more details, check out the FAQ on getting to New York by bus or train. The FAQs are on the right side of the page on the desktop version, not the mobile version, of TA.

www.septa.org

www.amtrak.com

www.njtransit.com

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,690 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

If you decide to use the SEPTA/NJT route, tell the SEPTA conductor you want a one-day Independence Pass ($11.00) This will save you a few dollars to get to Trenton. At 30th Street, while you are waiting for your Trenton train, purchase an NJT ticket from Trenton to NY. Your Independence pass will get you to Trenton.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

I need to travel from philadelphia airport to penn station who I do???

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

Leonela, the posts above describe how to get from PHL to New York Penn Station by train. The only thing that's changed is the SEPTA fares, which are now $1 higher -- so $8 from the airport to Center City or $12 for the Independence Pass.

Edited: 5:55 pm, May 28, 2014
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

I thought the Independence passes could only be used in PA?

Edited: 7:45 pm, May 28, 2014
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

You can use an Independence Pass to go to New Jersey, but there's a $5 surcharge each way. So ignore what I said above about the Independence Pass cost. It will be $17 if you want to go to Trenton, where you would pick up New Jersey Transit to New York.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

I beleve you can use a tunnel ticket to change trains. Just reliaed this tjread is a year old.

8. Re: PHL airport to NY Penn Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 30, 2015