We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day visit at end of July

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
2 day visit at end of July

hi - we will have flown in from UK, and spent 3 nights in Washington DC before driving (probably) up to to Philadephia - we want to have 2 days there arriving Monday lunchtime and then leaving Wednesday intime to drive to White Plains Westchester, CT for 6pm ish on the Wednesday.

1) what will the weather be like at the end of July? i'm worried its' going to be be too hot to enjoy being outside in the city.

2) how long is the drive to Connecticut?

3) in this time what are the 'must do's' for a 34 year old couple, interested in getting a feel for the city but not massive fans of museums?

thanks in advance

PS - if there is somewhere else you think we'd be better of seeing on the way from WAshington DC to Connecticut (where we are staying with friends and then going on to Cape Cod and Boston) please suggest - we'd like 2 nights somewhere that we can relax!

thanks

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

1) impossible to predict the weather this far ahead. Check weather com several days prior to your arrival in Philly. Everyplace is airconditioned so if it is too hot for you, plan indoor activities.

2) that all depends on traffic and when you leave. Your plan to leave on a weekday arriving at 6pm is not a good one, you will hit rush hour through the NJ Tpk all the way to CT. A better approach( based on many, many trips from Philly to CT), is to leave after dinner time (7pm) then you will travel through NJ/NYC with a minimum of traffic. go to mapquest.com for driving directions, mileage and estimated travel time. Your friends in CT may be able to advise you on the best route to their house. There may be construction on some roads, or other reasons to avoid the most direct route suggested by mapquest. Always best to ask for local advice!

3) here is my short list of must sees tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21731-Philadel… for more ideas check the FAQ top right of this page and also www.visitphilly.com

Edited: 5:15 pm, June 21, 2013
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

Thanks

Re the weather perhaps the question would be better phrased as what's the average temp / climate like at end of July based on previous years?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

I'm confused about where you're going after you leave Philadelphia. There's a place called White Plains in New York state, and it's in Westchester County. I've never heard of a White Plains in Connecticut, though. I'm no expert on Connecticut, but I can't find a "White Plains Westchester," a White Plains, or a Westchester in Connecticut on Google Maps.

Whether you're going to White Plains, NY, or somewhere in Connecticut, I agree with Rocknroll that trying to arrive around 6 p.m. is a terrible idea because of the traffic. Leaving after 7 p.m. Is a much better idea. If you don't want to do that, I'd suggest leaving around 10 a.m., which would hopefully get you wherever you're going in the early afternoon.

No one can predict the weather a month in advance. July is typically hot and humid, and I usually find it to be uncomfortable outside.

Check out the Top Questions on the right side of the page (on the desktop version, not the mobile version, of TA) for ideas on things to do. Come back and ask if you have more specific questions.

Have you considered taking the train at least from Washington to Philadelphia and possibly from Washington to New York or Connecticut? In Washington and Philadelphia, a car is unnecessary and parking is very expensive. Traffic can also be terrible in and between both cities. If you could take the train all the way to your friends' town, that would also eliminate the traffic problem between Philadelphia and New York/Connecticut. Amtrak is the train service you could take between Washington and Philadelphia. If you want to take the train all the way to your friends' town, you would probably take Amtrak to New York City and then switch to a local commuter train (I'm guessing -- it depends on where you're actually going).

www.amtrak.com

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

It can be uncomfortably hot and humid, or it can be delightfully warm. There may or may not be afternoon and evening thunderstorms.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

I'm fairly familiar with CT, but I can't think of White Plains either. As a baseline, no stops and no traffic,assume 4 to 4.5 hours to Hatford CT from Center City philly. If White Plains, NY even though Google Maps will say 2 1/4 hours, at least 3 has been my experience.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

White Plains is in Westchester County, NY which is near southwestern Connecticut.

Either way, the traffic advice is the same!

OP, as to average temps, our weather here can be variable, despite any averages. Suffice it to say that it can be as hot and humid at 100 F or it could be 75 F and pleasant. It might rain, or not. Afternoon thunderstorms are not unexpected, but we can also hit dry spells.

Edited: 7:05 am, June 22, 2013
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

In case you are interested in more weather stats, try this link http://www.fi.edu/weather/data/

Edited: 7:09 am, June 22, 2013
8. Re: 2 day visit at end of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 24, 2014