We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia???

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Philadelphia???

Hi everyone

I'm looking for honest opinions please!! Myself and 2 of my friends (all 26 year old males) are heading to Las Vegas then on to New Orleans... Then we don't know where to go! We want to go somewhere with enough to do during the day and good nightlife for the evening Would you reccomend Philadelphia??? It looks to be a lovely place but would there be enough to do for us during the day and evening? Also bare in mind that we would probably be there Monday Tuesday and Wednesday!!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Chris

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia???

There's a lot to do in Philadelphia, but it's impossible for anyone to say whether this is the right place for you because you've told us nothing about your interests and tastes. I suggest you read the Top Questions and Itineraries on the right side of the page (on the desktop version, not the mobile version, of TA) to get a sense of the tourist attractions here. You can also read other posts on the forum to see what people do here and what they like and dislike. Then ask if you have more specific questions.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia???

Also, understand that the U.S. is about the size of Europe and you will need to fly between your cities. For example, Las Vegas to Philadelphia is about a 5 hour flight. Airfare here is much more expensive than in Europe.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia???

Logistically, I wouldn't do it. Vegas to New Orleans to Philly is like going from Rome to London by way of Germany, without the use of trains.. It's doable, but not efficient.

Where are you flying in and out of the US? That will make a huge difference in good options.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphia???

Having been to Newcastle, I can say that the nightlife is a little tamer here! That said, Philadelphia's a good bar city, less so for nightclubs. Even if it's quieter at the start of the week, you'll still find something to do. Like the others said, it would help if you say a little more about what you're looking for. But here are some pros and cons for Philadelphia in a trip like yours:

PROS:

- Philadelphia is a large city with a lot to do, amazing architecture and museums, good restaurants and bars at a range of price points.

- It'll give you a different view of the US than your other two spots - a different region and different kind of city.

- Philadelphia gets a number of tourists but is not as overwhelmingly tourist-oriented as Las Vegas or New Orleans are. It's mostly a city going about its workaday business.

- It's close enough for a day trip to New York City.

CONS:

- It's far away from New Orleans and Las Vegas. It's possible you could get a reasonable ticket on USAir, but it can add extra time and expense

- If you're wanting a city in the Northeast, there's a good case for going to New York instead, especially if you're never been there before.

- Many (but not all) of the tourist attractions here are connected to the American revolution, which I have to imagine might hold less interest for someone coming from abroad.

5. Re: Philadelphia???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 08, 2014