We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas time in Philadelphia???

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Xmas time in Philadelphia???

Hello,

My partner and I are looking at going to Philly for Christmas shopping and (mainly due to lower hotel rates and flights than to NY!) and was wondering what we can expect? We're a gay couple so nightlife is important and so is shopping, eating, sightseeing etc....!

Is it worth the trip over from London or should we look at Bos or NY (Again)??

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Victor in London.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas time in Philadelphia???

A recommendation: Don't ask a local (or expatriate : ) ) Philadelphian to compare their hometown to New York.

With that out of the way, I can say that Philadelphia is fairly progressive as far as accomodating visitors in the GLBT community. Our "gayborhood" is fairly well-defined: from approximately 9th Street eastward to 13th, then Locust southward to Pine, about 12 city blocks or so.

The Alexander Inn seems to be popular with GLBT visitors so you may want to look into that property. On 12th St, Millennium Coffee is popular and I believe the 12th Street Gym may give out day passes. (No, it's not a "bathhouse"; I used to be a member.)

As far as nightlife goes, there are quite a few socializing establishments in the area if I recall correctly: Woody's (still popular after many years, The Bike Stop (leather-ish), 12th Air Command (young-ish), Uncle's (old-ish), etc. Some otherwise "straight" clubs have nights where they encourage men (or women) to socialize with each other. I would check out Philadelphia Gay News ( www.epgn.com ) then also our local weeklies www.philadelphiaweekly.com and www.citypaper.net.

Philly's a great place to learn about American history. You will definitely want to check out our Historic District. We are well-represented culturally with various museums, art galleries and theaters. We're also known by foodies as being an excellent restaurant town. (Suzanne and Lynn, among others, will be able to tell you more about that.) While we have plenty of boutiques and mid-size stores catering to all tastes - many of them unique to the area - the city is admittedly short on large upscale department stores.

Good luck... and for what it's worth, I'm a gentleman happily involved with his lady. I either lived, worked or socialized in the vicinity the gayborhood for much of my adult time in Philly and absorbed a lot of information. : )

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas time in Philadelphia???

Oh and don't forget to check out www.gophila.com., the Philadelphia region's tourism site. Click on "Your Philadelphia" to access their GLBT information.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas time in Philadelphia???

I also think you'll enjoy Philadelphia at Christmas. It's not the same grand scale hustle and bustle as New York, but it has much to offer, and it's own flavor and identity, as Tony mentioned.

What kind of food do you like? The Philly restaurant scene has grown tremendously in recent years and I think you'll find anything you like. The Bring Your Own (BYO) (as in wine) trend is great! There are many excellent restaurants where you can BYO - you still get great food, but without the added cost of inflated alcohol prices.

Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
london
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas time in Philadelphia???

Thanks guys.... You've sold Philly to us.... sounds great!!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas time in Philadelphia???

At the top of this page, click on the Attractions tab. Page down about 1/3 of the way to "Inside Philadelphia and go lists". Click at the bottom of that one section on "more inside Philadelphia pages". They are all interesting, particularly one that is about 1/3 page down, "off the beaten path".

In case you're interested, not far away are some other landmarks:

Longwood Gardens, called, rightly so, the Garden of a Lifetime/A Century in the Making, which is done up fabulously in and out for Christmas:

longwoodgardens.org/

And at Christmas:

longwoodgardens.org/SeasonalFestivals/Christ…

Also, West Chester, Pa. Here is part of the info on them from the National Trust:

"West Chester, PA

Although West Chester, Pennsylvania, a former Quaker town incorporated in 1799, is only 1.8 square miles, it's teeming with 19th-century charm. Nearly 90 percent of the picture-perfect borough - with its lovely town center and famed brick sidewalks - is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Located in the heart of the Brandywine Valley near three Pennsylvania Revolutionary War historic sites - Brandywine, Paoli, and Valley Forge - West Chester today is a university and residential community with fine examples of Victorian and Greek Revival architecture, including the Chester County Courthouse, designed by Thomas U. Walter, one of the architects of the U.S. Capitol. The borough's small size means that West Chester is a walkable community, home to dozens of outstanding restaurants, art galleries and retail shops. The History Center and Library, operated by the Chester County Historical Society, showcases fine antique furniture, porcelain, and pewter; the museum's History Lab features more than 40 hands-on exhibits designed to involve all ages in the fun and excitement of uncovering the mysteries of the past. At the American Helicopter Museum located at the Brandywine Regional Airport, visitors can examine vintage rotorcraft and exhibits tracing the history of rotary-wing flight. The West Chester Railroad, one of the nation's earliest railroads, now operates a scenic train between West Chester and the village of Glen Mills, Pa. Nearby, in southern Chester and western Delaware counties, there are numerous attractions to enjoy, including Longwood Gardens, the Brandywine River Museum and the Brandywine Battlefield.

For these reasons, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the country's largest private, nonprofit preservation organization, today named West Chester, Pennsylvania, to its 2006 list of America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations, an annual list of unique and lovingly preserved communities in the United States. It was selected from 93 destinations in 39 states that were nominated by individuals, preservation organizations and local communities. "

Mentioned in this post
West Chester
West Chester
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Paoli
Paoli
Pennsylvania
Valley Forge
Valley Forge
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Delaware
United States
United States
United States
North America
6. Re: Xmas time in Philadelphia???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 14, 2009