We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

Hi,

My husband and I went to Philly in March and had a blast. We did feel like we were able to see everything in one weekend. We are considering returning, but aren't sure if there is anything left to see. Here's what we saw:

-Liberty Bell

-Independence Hall

-Betsy Ross' house

-Oldest residential street in America

-Love Park

-Market Square

-Chinatown

-Great Greek restaurant near the oldest penitentiary

-Rocky Steps (of course!)

-South Street

Any recommendations for a return trip??

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

There is plenty left to see and do. Some thoughts:

You missed some of the best things in Old City or the National Park. For example, Franklin Court, Christ Church, the portrait gallery in the 2nd Bank of the US, Arch Street Meetinghouse (where you'll get an understanding of the unique Quaker colonial underpinnings of Pennsylvania and especially Philly), Fireman's Hall, Old St. Joe's, Temple Mikvah Isreal and the National Jewish Museum, the Powell House, etc.

That's just colonial and revolution era history. There's plenty after that, including a Civil War museum.

Philly has world class art museums, best known is the Philadelphia Museum of Art. But also, the Academy of Fine Arts, the Rodin Museum, the very modern art museum at U. Penn., the Barnes collection. Along the art line, there are all the art galleries in Old CIty, which are especially nice to visit on a first Friday. (on the 1st Friday of each month the galleries and coffee houses stay open in late and people stroll from one to the next. socializing.

You may have noticed that Philly has a wealth of beautiful and interesting architecture spanning 300 years. There are architectural walking tours or you can do a self-guided tour. I recommend touring City Hall, The Academy of Fine Arts, and the Union League (Civil War era).

Did you go to: the Reading Terminal Market, the Italian Market, Franklin Institute, Mutter Museum (museum of medical oddities), any theatre productions, the Kimmel Centre for the Performing Arts?

I could go on.

What are your interests and at what time of year would you return? In the warmer months there are ethnic festivals at Penns Landing every weekend, events in Rittenhouse Square, and the National Park comes alive with actors taking the parts of American Revolution era individuals.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

Lynn,

You are so good and full of information! I have NOTHING left to add!!!!

Suzanne

Santiagomoscow,

Definitely enough to do for a return trip - what kinds of restaurants do you like? We can make MANY recommendations of that front!!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

Suzanne,

I left out restaurants just for you!

Lynn

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

Thanks for your recommendations!! We might be returning in the summer. Definitely sounds like there's not a shortage of things for us to do :-)

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

I'm so glad you had such a good time on your first visit and want to return. Did you know there are calendars at various Philly websites that tell you what's happening on any given day? Take a look at gophila.com

Lynn

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

Oops, I may have referred to a "gophilly.com" in a previous post, instead of "gophila.com". I need to stop multitasking at work! : ) LOL

downingtown,pa
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

in my opinion you missed the crown jewel of philadelphia which is fairmount park. Try to get to the wissahickon creek section of the park which is located in the northwestern part of the city. It is truly an urban oasis.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

There are also some wonderful places to eat. You may want to try one of the BYOs if you drink wine. Great food at great prices, especially when you can save on the cost of the wine and drink what you like. We've enjoyed Marigold Kitchen, Pif and Matyson, but there are many to choose from depending on your cuisine preferences. Enjoy your next stay!

9. Re: 2nd Visit to Philly - Is there enough for another trip??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 13, 2009