We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

florida
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

Visiting UPenn with my son, found a great rate at Palomar, $89. Opinions on the hotel?

Also, Renting a car at PHL as we're driving on to explore other colleges in NY/Boston, but not sure if I should pick up the car at the airport or in the city. Thought it would be easier to not have a car til we head out of Philadelphia so wondering;

How is the train from PHL to the Penn? how long does it take?

How bout the shuttle from the airport, long ride to Penn?

If I do drive to Penn from the airport where is it best to park both at Penn and near the Palomar, (hotel parking is $40)

Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

The Palomar is OK. The rooms are nice, and I like the location in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood. I had some problems with the service when I stayed there a couple of years ago -- but $89 is such an excellent rate for a room there that I would get over those issues and stay there again, or recommend the hotel to someone else.

You will not need or want a car at Penn or in Center City, so if you can avoid picking it up until you're ready to leave Philadelphia, that would be best. I would take the train from the airport. If you're going to Penn's campus, get off at the University City stop. If you're going to the Palomar, get off at Suburban Station. The train takes about a half-hour, give or take a few minutes depending on where exactly you get on and off. It costs $7 per person, cash only. The schedule is here:

www.septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/air.pdf

The Palomar is a few blocks from the trolley stops at 19th and Market Streets and 15th and Market Streets. From either of those stops, you can get to Penn on Routes 11, 13, 34, and 36. Get on a westbound trolley on one of those routes, and you can get off at either 36th Street (and Sansom) or 37th Street (and Spruce). Both of those stops are on Penn's campus, a short walk from the admissions office. The trolley costs $2 per person, or you can buy tokens for $1.55 each.

If you have the car while you're in Philadelphia, you can look here for parking options and prices:

philadelphia.bestparking.com

If you drive from the airport, I suggest driving to the hotel, parking the car, and not moving the car until you leave Philadelphia. But if you need to drive to Penn for some reason (which will only add to your parking costs), you can find info about parking at Penn, including a map, here:

…upenn.edu/visit/directions-and-parking

florida
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

thank you so much Lauren, this is what I love about TA, such great help!

I was trying to change my car reservation, seems the system isnt' letting me pick up in the city and return at an airport in another city. Has anyone had success with this type of rental?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

Which other schools are you visiting? You might not need a car at all, or you might be able to rent a car just for a day or two if you take Amtrak to New York and Boston.

florida
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

Columbia in NY, Tufts and Brandeis in Boston\

where do you leave from in Philly on Amtrak?

ty

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

I suggest you take the train to New York and Boston. You definitely won't want a car in New York. From their Web sites, it sounds like Tufts and Brandeis are accessible by public transportation, so you might not want the car in Boston, either. I would suggest asking for opinions about that on the Boston forum.

30th Street Station is the Amtrak station in Philadelphia. It is within walking distance of Penn, and it's across the street from the 30th Street stop for the same trolleys that you can ride between Penn and Center City.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

30th Street Station (30th & Market) which is between your hotel and the Drexel campus. It is actually on the eastern edge of the campus.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,271 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

You don't want to drive anywhere NEAR columbia U. If you don't know the area its a zoo.

Take the train from 30th street to Penn Station from there you can either go to the campus first or your hotel by taxi.

Tufts is a little trickier, its some distance from the station, but still doable. Can't speak to Brandeis. I still probably wouldn't drive.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

Brandeis is right next to the commuter rail. And it's about a 20 minute walk from Davis Sq. T stop to Tufts. So I would agree with the above: take the train between cities and rely on public transportation. If you want a car in Boston just rent there.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

Have fun campus shopping!

The only change I would make to Lauren's suggestions would be to catch the 42 or 21 bus that runs along Walnut St at 17th St. This is 1/2 block walk from the Palomar. You would get off at the 34th St stop right at Penn's campus.

Also heartily concur re: car vs. train travel, driving in NYC is maddening.

florida
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UPenn visit--booked Palomar hotel, is this a good location?

decided to ditch the car and taking your suggestions. Weird as it sounds, I'm comfortable driving in NYC, but not the other cities, but I will save $300.

Any suggestion for returning to the Palomar from UPenn in the early evening, is it walkable? bus?