We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toll costs

london
Level Contributor
491 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
toll costs

hi TA's

can someone tell me the costs of the tolls between newark airport and philadelphia city centre? also there seems to be alot references that the I-95 is a busy road, how long will this route take? are there prime times to avoid It? or is the a quicker alternative?

thanks

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toll costs

Have you considered taking the train? It is fast and easy. You don't need or want a car in downtown Philadellhia.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
19 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toll costs

If I recall correctly it is something like $8 from Newark to the Betsy Ross bridge exit on the New Jersey Turnpike, plus $5 to cross the bridge. The turnpike can have massive backups south of New Brunswick where the two branches merge. In recent years, I've just avoided it altogether by crossing over to route 1 just after you cross 287 and taking that to 95 (the real 95 and not the renumbered Turnpike -- look at the map to see the difference) near Princeton. It's full of traffic lights, but usually no traffic jams. And there are no tolls after you get on route 1. Still there is less room for error just taking the turnpike.

I have to agree however that if you are just coming to center city Philadelphia, you should take the train and save the expense of renting a car and paying for parking. There's a train from the airport to Newark Penn Station and from there you can take Amtrak directly to Philly.

london
Level Contributor
491 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toll costs

Hi guys

Thanks

I have looked at all options, the car one way e.g pick up at airport drop off as soon as get to philly, this is $60 plus fuel and tolls, the train is $80, plus with the car want to stop off at some outlet malls on the way, to do some shopping, so the train is in-flexible otherwise would take the train

Open two other ideas if anyone's got any?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: toll costs

The train would probably be more comfortable and pleasant. Traffic in the Northeast can be bad. And once you add the gas and tolls, driving will cost at least as much as the train.

I would skip the outlet malls. Have you ever been to one? They're not that great. A lot of merchandise is made specifically for outlets, so while the prices might be a little lower than full retail, the quality and style aren't as good. You can shop in Philadelphia, or even take the bus to the King of Prussia mall, which is huge. And regular stores have sales all the time.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toll costs

I agree with Lauren 100% The outlet malls, even the good ones, don't really have great deals. Department store sales are better, and they have sales every weekend. There is a huge Macy's in downtown Philadelphia, and they offer a 10% visitor discount. I also agree about the comfort/cost of the train vs driving. The King of Prussia Mall mentioned by Laura, is the largest mall in the country. You can shop till you drop. Very easy to get to by bus from downtown Philadelphia (Route 124 or 125 takes you right to the mall).

london
Level Contributor
491 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toll costs

Thanks lauren

im looking forward to shopping in philly, however i have got some great bargains and quality goods at outlets, however i dont know what the ones are like in pennsylvania/jersey, i have had a look on amtrak it says no checked baggage, does this mean you cant take luggage?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toll costs

>> i have had a look on amtrak it says no checked baggage, does this mean you cant take luggage?<<

No, that's not what it means. You can bring luggage on Amtrak. The policy you're referring to means that you have to carry your luggage onto the train and store it on a rack overhead or at the end of the car instead of checking it in a separate baggage car or compartment.

Amtrak has stated restrictions on the size and amount of luggage you can carry on, but don't worry about those. No one measures. People bring very large bags onto trains with no problem.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toll costs

Also, on the route between Newark and Philly, there are not a lot of outlets that wouldn't require a decent detour off the highway.

And 95 aside, depending on when you arrive, traffic around Newark airport itself can be very very ugly.

Time and day of arrival could make a HUGE difference.

london
Level Contributor
491 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: toll costs

Arriving at 12.30 pm on Wednesday in August

And will do same journey back on a Sunday at 2pm in September

Let me your thoughts????

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: toll costs

The Wednesday run could be busy,. less concerned about the Sunday. But at least you could avoid rush hour.

I'd still rather take the train if I could, but at least the drive will probably only be annoying as opposed to painful.