We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia to NYC travel

Rutherford...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Philadelphia to NYC travel

Good Morning

My wife and I are nearly late fifties and are planning a trip in Sept/Oct next year up on the east coast of US and into Canada. I am developing a plan that includes a drive from Philly to NYC, however, the NJ Turnpike sounds a little daunting based upon other forum entries.

We have all day to make this part of the trip and are willing to take interesting diversions. Could you please make some suggestions on interesting diversions or do you suggest we travel by train/plane?

Regards,

Steve

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

I will join the chorus of those who recommend taking the Amtrak train. Personally I hate the nj turnpike and nj police love to give expensive tickets whether u are speeding or not, especially if u are driving a car with out of state plates and it is a holiday weekend or the end of the month. Sorry, had to rant.

That said if u decide to drive I would not detour off the main road but would drive straight through. If you want to see some sights there are better ones in the city also if you want to see countryside that is not the area to do so as Northern New Jersey is a densely populated area not very scenic except for the lambertville new hope area.

Edited: 6:54 am, December 10, 2012
NYC
Level Contributor
639 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

Not mentioned are the buses ... Megabus or Bolt bus .... about $30 for two, each way. Amtrak for 2 each way is about $102. Depending on traffic / time of travel ... about 1/2 hour in travel time difference, with Amtrak being the quicker.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

The AMTRAK prices vary. The fare can be as low as $36/person each way. The earlier you book, the cheaper the fare.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

The impression I get from the original post is that SteveHO2 will be driving up the east coast on the way to Canada. The train would not fit his plans.

Another vote for New Hope, Lambertville, and Frenchtown.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

Neither would the bus. I was just setting the records traight on train fares.

Rutherford...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

Hi

Thanks for your input. The TA fraternity have saved me again!

The train looks the best way to go. It sounds like we will be better off by train directly to NYC and then upstate NY on the way to Niagara.

Regards

Steve

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

A wise choice, Steve.

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

I have to agree with some of the other commenters that there isn't much missed with a direct trip between Philly and NYC. If you want to keep costs at their absolute lowest, look into the "Megabus" schedule, which generally has a half dozen departure times from 30th St Station in Philly to NYC (drop-off near Penn Station) for as little as $10-20 each way. These bus companies, I believe, got a bad rep from the Chinatown DC-Philly-NYC routes, and with each Megabus offering free wi-fi Internet, you really cannot beat the cost or convenience.

Your time is much better spent taking a day trip to the outer burbs in the five-county region around Philly. I recommend New Hope (in Bucks County, across the river from Jersey) if you are into stunningly-beautiful small-town USA (with stellar shopping). The Flight 93 Memorial is also a worthwhile stop that would be on your way from Philly to New Hope.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

The Flight 93 memorial is in western Pennsylvania, not near New Hope. You may mean The Garden of Remembrance, near Yardley, which is a memorial to Bucks County residents lost in the 9-11 attack.

20. Re: Philadelphia to NYC travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 07, 2014