We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

What are the bus and train transportation options from Center City Philadelphia to New York City?

My friend and I plan to visit NYC for few days after the sightseeing in Philly. What bus and train options can we choose, from budget and time viewpoints? We don't drive a car.

This is our first time to Philly and we arrive by airplane, so we have little idea on the outward public transportation system from Philly to NYC.

Thanks.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

www.amtrak.com

www.septa.org to www.njtransit.com

www.greyhound.com

/www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

Allow me to add a little background to the links that broadwaynyc provided.

Amtrak is our national public rail system. The trains depart from 30th Street Station and take 75-90 minutes to reach New York depending on what route you choose. Round trip tickets cost $100.

Another rail option is to use the two local public transit systems: SEPTA and New Jersey Transit. At 30th Street again, find the NJ Transit ticket machine next to the SEPTA ticket window. Purchase a ticket from 30th Street Station to New York Penn Station (*not* Newark Penn Station). Round trip tickets are $30. Take SEPTA's R7 train to Trenton, New Jersey. Then transfer to the NJ Transit train which should be directly in front. (You may want to go to www.septa.org to look at the R7 schedule to confirm which trains connect with NJ Transit.) The whole trip is just over two hours.

Greyhound is the largest private bus service in the country. They are located at 10th and Filbert near the Convention Center and Chinatown. They offer non-stop trips to New York as low as $34 online although you can purchase them at the bus depot. It's about a two-hour ride.

There are a number of small bus services in the Chinatown area that offer service to New York. This may be a unique advantage for you as, looking at your locale, you may be able to communicate with them very well. Besides the companies listed on broadwaynyc's link, there is also New Century Bus ( www.2000coach.com ). I've used it many times albeit to go to DC. Fares are about $24 round trip to NYC's Chinatown.

Between all of those options, my personal preference is the SEPTA/NJ Transit combination. I find trains more comfortable in general, not to mention that an extra half hour of travel time is worth saving $70. Of course, you may feel differently.

By the way, depending on where you are staying, you may also find it useful to take the R1 SEPTA train from the airport to Center City.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

I normally prefer the train too, but for the relatively short distance between Philadelphia and NYC 1.5 hours, I'd take the cheaper option of the bus.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

Thank you guys for such informative help! I believe other non-American visitors who aren't familar with American public transportation system will think the same.

One more request: Can you add this info to "Inside Philadelphia: Arriving & Departing" too? Currently there's only infor for arriving from the airport.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s301/Philadelp…

Thanks again.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

Well, maybe the list below would help.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1506-Getting_I…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-c3501/Philadel…

To see (and edit/create) more Philadelphia pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s1/…Inside.html

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Center City Philadelphia to New York...

That's awesome! Thanks to whomever submitted the thread... and thank you noira2001 for recognizing us!

Tony