We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in philly..

dublin
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
7 days in philly..

hi..i was originally going to go to new york city for a week in 2013 but im v tempted to go to philly instead,,,,why?..im hoping its not as touristy as new york+the hotel rooms rates are more resonable+its better located for day trips to baltimore or dc or nyc..am i right?....any advice would be great..also is there anytime during 2013 to avoid philly..eg..conferances...major events when the hotel prices go sky high...

steve

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in philly..

Yes, you are generally right. Every city has it's touristy spots, though there is far more than that to each of the cities you mentioned. Philadelphia is less intense that DC or NY.

To do day trips to NYC or DC the train is better than driving because of traffic. Baltimore is a bit closer - an hour and a half drive, though the train is still a nice option.

Hotel prices go up in late May through June because of the many graduations and weddings. Lots of graduation ceremonies around here because of the number of colleges and universities.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in philly..

Also, for obvious reasons, around July 4th can be a bit more expensive.

Personally, I'm a big fan of early fall, normally.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in philly..

My general advice, if you have never been to NY before and remotely enjoy cities, would be to spend at least a couple of nights in NYC. It's possible to have a non-touristy trip to NYC - it's like London in that regard - but you're right that hotel rates are higher there and you won't be in quick day trip distance to DC. And Philly's a lot more laid back and manageable of a city. So depending on what you want out of your trip, Philly could suit what you're looking for.

Train is by far the quickest and easiest way to do a day trip to NY, but the cost, even with cheaper tickets, will eat into any hotel cost savings you'd have by staying in Philly. The bus is cheaper but will make for a long day.

Beyond the busy times listed above (and adding maybe last week of August/first week of September for start of university term), the main thing I would consider is weather. Summer has some advantages but the weather can be oppressive, particularly if you're not used to humid heat. To give you an idea, the second week this last July the max temp ranged from 30 to 38 C, with high humidity. Mind you, coming in summer gives the beach as an option. My favorite time here is Spring (April/early May), but Autumn is nice too (late Sept/early Oct). Autumn is definitely the nicest time for NYC but one of the most popular for that reason.

4. Re: 7 days in philly..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 27, 2013