We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa needed from UK

midlands
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Visa needed from UK

I can't seem to find clear answers for this. My daughter is studying at U Penn for 6 months and has to go to London to have an interview for a visa, fair enough. I am going with her for a few days to settle her in. Do I need a visa? I have an electronic chip passport valid for more than 6 months and a return ticket. Do I need ESTA(????). We went to the caribbean last year and just needed to fill in immigration forms on the plane, same as New York, but that was 7 years ago.

Would hate to get there and not be allowed in!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa needed from UK

Info about visa requirements from the U.S. Department of State:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa needed from UK

Generally speaking, for a social visit you don't need a visa, just an ESTA waiver check. Since your daughter will be a student, as you noted, she does need a visa.

There are some special circumstances where one may be required, the ESTA process will usually reveal those..

From the website above:

Travel Without a Visa - Foreign citizens traveling for visitor visa purposes only, from certain eligible countries may also be able to visit the U.S. without a visa, through the Visa Waiver Program if they meet requirements, including having a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval. Additionally, citizens of Canada and Bermuda traveling for visitor visa purposes don’t need a visa, with some exceptions.

The UK is a waiver country.

3. Re: Visa needed from UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 13, 2013