We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Penn from downtown

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Penn from downtown

Which river crossing is the most pedestrian friendly - Walnut, Chestnut, Market, JFK? Would you advise walking there at all?

We'd be starting from the Embassy Suites, going to the Mutter Museum, then continuing on to Campus.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

Long walk, I wouldn't do it (but your fitness level is probably better than mine). Best route for you from Mutter would be south on Market to Walnut & then west on Walnut to Penn campus.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

Our fitness level is not high at all...but I mapped it and they said it was about 40 minutes TOTAL, 25 between one, and 15 between the other, that didn't sound that bad. But then we'd be taking an over-hour long campus tour, so maybe that is too much walking. Have to find a "trolley" map, I've got a subway one but don't know about the trolleys and buses.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

From the Mutter, you can take an underground trolley from 22nd & Market. Any route except #10 (so that means 11, 13, 34, or 36 are all good) will take you to the 37th Street Station, which is pretty much in the center of Penn's Campus. The fare is $2.00 person, exact cash only (paper and/or coins).

There are several entrances to the 22nd Street trolley station. From the Mutter, be sure to cross Market Street before going down the steps, or you will be heading the wrong way. If you trolley says City Hall, or 13th & Market, you are going the wrong way.

Here is a link to the trolley map: http://www.septa.org/maps/trolley/city.html

Edited: 1:19 pm, October 08, 2012
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

I agree with the trolley suggestion. Though, if it is a nice day, I would walk it I think you will be fine. Usually the campus tours start with an information session so you will have some rest time before the campus tour. If you decide to walk, I'd walk right up Market Street so you can pass through Drexel's campus area and then hang a left at 34th Street to get to Penn campus.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

Thank you so much! That Trolley map is just what I've been looking for...I have the subway map. But then I clicked on "buses" and went through all the categories and couldn't find a bus map?

My husband is over 65 so he'll ride free everywhere, I'm not quite there yet. I think I read we can buy transit passes pretty near the Embassy Suites, someplace that had "Sister" in the name, I have to go back and look in my pile of stuff I'm collecting.

We're not going to do the info session, we just happen to be college tour junkies and like to look at the buildings, have someone give us the stories, etc.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

To get free rides on SEPTA a senior must show their Medicare card. So don't forget to bring that.

The bus system is very complicated and not amenable to a map. It is best to just use septa trip planner to find the bus that you need. You can then click on individual bus lines to see their maps. Also, all the bus shelters in Center City have maps of the buses that stop there.

Unless you are planning to do more than ride the trolley to and from Penn, I don't think it will be worthwhile to buy a pass. For more info on fares see this link http://www.septa.org/fares/

there is a visitor center at Sister Cities Park near your hotel. I don' t know if they sell SEPTA passes but you could call and check. centercityphila.org/life/sister_cities.php

Edited: 3:01 pm, October 08, 2012
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

I don't know if you'll want to do the whole Drexel tour as well, but I'd really recommend that you take a look at their new science building. www.drexel.edu/slas/news/featureStories/ISB/

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

So you can just board a trolley or subway and hand them money each time (I assume you buy an individual ticket each time at a windor or machine)? That would be so much more convenient since i'm really not sure yet where we'll be going. I have to plot things out really carefully because we also have a deal with our Visa card that we get free museum admission (to a handful of them) on the first weekend of the month, so I have to plan what's going to fall on a weekend and what can wait until Monday and Tuesday (I think we're going to skip the BIG art museum because I'd rather do the Barnes and PAFA and that's enough art for one trip).

Yes, he has his Medicare card with him all the time.

And we'll try to fit Drexel in, too.

Thanks so much.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

Just looked at your "fares" link and it sounds like buying some tokens would be a good deal for me, once I plan out our trips I can see how many I need.

But the cash option is so convenient! Can you use dollar bills or does it have to be in coin?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to Penn from downtown

And a quick question about my husband - at what point in the system does he show his ID and Medicare card? Do the underground stations have turnstiles that you have to go through, so does he have to get a free dummy token or something to use?