We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

Arriving Friday night at Hotel Monaco til Monday morning.

20 something daughter lives in philly (Just moved there) joining me for a respite weekend! Are there must do/see activities?

She has mentioned an arts festival in Chestnut Hill on Sunday(we will be going there anyway for something else)and I would like to do one of the walking tours that starts near our hotel. She is still finding her way so she doesn't know a ton about the city-( free museum day Sunday) We will have a car. Where would fun shops be located and "cool" areas? Northern Liberties? Also restaurant suggestions for a fun night. Barbuzzo is booked until 9 pm. I saw that it is also Center City district restaurant week- any ideas? Thank you so much!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

With restaurant week the restaurants will be very busy. Typically the selections for the $35 meal are limited, and you won't get the best service. IMO it might be better to choose a restaurant that is not participating. If you want to see which restaurants are available on a specific date/time the easiest way is to go on opentable.com What type of food/price/atmosphere are you looking for?

The Philadelphia museum of art is free the first sunday of each month. Also the Barnes Foundation offers free tickets the first sunday afternoon by reservation only. I don't think the other museums are free on sundays.

check out this website for events coming this weekend.

http://www.uwishunu.com/

Edited: 5:32 pm, October 02, 2012
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

There is good shopping all around the 2nd & 3rd Sts corridors in Old City. Be sure to to check out the Clay Studio right near Elfreth's Alley. In Northern Liberties I would suggest a stop at Art Star for a wide selection of unusual goods.

For eating in Northern Liberties I'd suggest Honey Sit n Eat for breakfast lunch or dinner - a quintessential Philly crowd from babies to seniors, hipsters to yupsters - a really fun nice mix of people. There are no reservations & it is cash only.

RnR is right, a lot of places will be super busy because of Restaurant Week. If you're agreeable to it though sometimes you can find spots at the bar at places like Amada, Fork, Buddakan or Talulah's Garden which can be a terrific people watching experience. My only hint would be to try arrive around 5:30...

Lastly if you have a car you may want to check out the East Passyunk Sq area for shopping & eating.

http://www.visiteastpassyunk.com/index.html

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

Thank you! Are many restaurants open Sunday evening? I have made a reservation for a late bite to eat at Barra on Friday.

Saturday not sure- Positano or Armada?

Is the arts festival in Chestnut Hill worth going to? We went to Chestnut hill briefly in August and thought it was a cute town. Also read about a festival at the Pier?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

Haven't heard much about Barra I think it is new...somewhat mixed reviews so far http://www.yelp.com/biz/barra-philadelphia

I do like Positano.

You may have trouble getting a reservation at Amada if you have not already done so.

The Seaport Festival is new this year so hard to say what it will be like. Chestnut Hill is quaint.

Edited: 9:54 pm, October 02, 2012
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

here's a link for the Chestnut Hill Arts Festival- its look like it would be fun- hopefully the weather will cooperate!

chestnuthillpa.com/events/fall-for-the-arts-…

Edited: 12:04 pm, October 03, 2012
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

Lots of places are open on Sunday for dinner.

You'll find more in Center City than Chestnut Hill. A quick glance at Open Table shows me there is availability for 2 at Talula's Garden, Vernick Food & Drink, Garces Trading Company, Chifa, Amis and Supper. All great dinner choices...

And as I said before you can always trying catching two seats at the bar area at Amada, Buddakan, etc.

new york
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

Thank you- I did book Barra just for a quick nibble when I arrive Friday but we might end up just trying the new place at Hotel Monaco! Also have reservations for Positano on Saturday night. I will look into the other places- we might just end up playing Sunday by ear! Weather doesn't look like it is going to cooperate for the Chestnut Hill festival so we will have to get a "Plan B' together! Thanks for the suggestions!

8. Re: Mother/Daughter weekend suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 14, 2013