We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car from 30th street station

Wales
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car from 30th street station

Hello,

We were planning to rent a car from 30th Street Station (Hertz) and drive up to Cape Cod. We are a little concerned about the traffic going out of the city however. Will it be very bad leaving Philadelphia? Would it be easier if we were to take the SEPTA train back to the airport and hire a car from there?

Thank you

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

I don't see an advantage in getting your car from the airport. PHL is only a few miles from 30th St so the traffic won't be that different.

The bigger question is when will you get the car. Traffic immediately around Philly isn't that bad at most times.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

You would lose a lot of time by taking the train to the airport, then shuttling to the car rental, plus the airport is farther south and therefore out of your way for a trip to Cape Cod.

What day of the week and time are you traveling?

Wales
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

Thanks for your responses!

We will be leaving on a Saturday, in the morning around 10am.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

Traffic should be fairly light.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

If you're arriving in Philadelphia at 30th Street Station, or if that's a location convenient to where you're already planning to be, I think going elsewhere to rent a car would add a lot of hassle unnecessarily.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

Another option would be to take the train up to Providence and rent there. It would not be much slower (might even be faster depending on traffic around NYC), maybe a tiny bit more expensive overall depending on the number of people, but less stress and more comfort. Rental rates may be cheaper at Providence as well.

Garner, North...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

i am leaving Cary nc by amtrak at 8am should get to phila by 530pm I need a rental car for my stay of 4 days in bucks county pa. what is easier me getting off the train in phila or trenton nj or princeton please advise?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

Get off at 30th Street Station and rent the car there. The other two stations do not have car rental on site.

9. Re: Renting a car from 30th street station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 27, 2014