We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philly Day Trip

Denham Springs, LA...
3 posts
Save Topic
Philly Day Trip

My wife and I are traveling from Louisiana to Dover, DE the end of May for the NASCAR race. We would like to drive up to Philly for the day on May 31. She is a school teacher and would like to see the historical site and I want to go to a Phillies game. They pay at 1:30 in the afternoon. We also want to eat the best Philly Cheese Steak in town. We will prob arrive in Philly between 8-9 AM and plan to spend all day there. What is recommended that we do and how are we recommended to get around the city? Should we drive from Dover or take alternate transportation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philly Day Trip

You should plan to drive into Phila and park once for the day. You can reach most interesting sites in center city by walking. And you can take the Broad Street subway line (orange line) south to the game. There have been many posts on this message board about "top things to do in Phila" and suggest you do a search for that. Depending on your interests (historical sites or museums or shopping, etc.) there are certainly a lot of things to do to fill up a day. Top attractions include the historical area (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, Elfeths Alley), art galleries, shops and restaurants in Old City, or upscale shopping and dining on Walnut Street. Reading Terminal Market is great for a quick meal or snack. A walk along Penns Landing is a nice add-on to time spent in the historical district or Old City.

Ft Lauderdale, FL
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Philly Day Trip

Definitely have a cheesesteak from Geno's. Visit the Liberty Bell, City Hall, Betsy Ross's House, and Penn's Landing. This will give you an overall view of Phila.

Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philly Day Trip

CoachKD -

Great advice from ElJayBee and PhilaChick. In addition, I would recommend purchasing an inexpensive map of Philadelphia, preferably Center City, just as a guide.

Also, I would consider checking out this site: www.phillyphlash.com It is a purple hop-on/hop-off bus, that makes about 20 stops at sites of interest all over Center City. Costs a dollar each time, or I believe $4 for an all-day pass. Philly is the penultimate walking city, but if you're covering a lot of turf, or just want to get a great overview, the phlash may be the way to conserve you energy.

Personally, I prefer Jim's Steaks, at 4th & South, but that's just me. There has been many a discussion on this and many other boards about who makes the best Philly cheesesteaks.

Enjoy your visit, and go Phils (you'll love Citizen's Park)