We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

My family and I (husband, 2 kids, 5 & 10) will be in Philly this Saturday night to see flower show and will stay at the Crowne Plaza. Can anyone recommend a decent, non-chain restaurant in the area for dinner. More importantly, where is the closest place to get an authentic Philly cheesesteak?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

Natmom,

There are a number of very good restaurants within a few blocks of 18th and Market. Are you looking for very casual, or would a relaxed but nicer restaurant do?

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

Here are some suggestions for restaurants near the Crowne Plaza that you'd feel comfortable bringing the kids. I am assuming you want something within walking distance:

First off, avoid the food at the hotel's restaurant, Elephant and Castle, like the plague. In my opinion, some of the worst food I've ever eaten in Philly, honestly.

Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza (17th and Walnut) is great place that has good pizza and some grown-up, traditional Italian entrees as well.

You'd feel comfortable taking the kids at dinnertime to Continetal Midtown (18th and Chestnut) - good food, trendy atmosphere. I don't know how adventerous your kids are as eaters, though. I'd check out the menu on their website first, just to be sure.

I haven't been to Davio's (S 18th St) so I am unsure if it is really appropriate for kids. I know Lynn (emwimom) has recommended it regularly for Italian cuisine, so I'll let her comment.

For cheesesteaks, if you don't want to take the cab to South Philly, head to Tony Luke Jr's (118 S 18th St). Enjoy!

Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

Thank you both. Yes. I'd be happy with someplace relaxed but nicer. Is Tony Luke, Jr's within walking distance?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

Tony Luke Jr's is right down 18th street, maybe 2-3 blocks away at most from your hotel. Definitely walkable! After eating one of their cheesesteaks, you'll want to walk that and more!

I assumed you wanted something within walking distance for dinner as well. There are some great Italian places that are in South Philly that I could recommend, but they are a short cab ride away (like maybe $6-7 for the ride.) But worth it! Let me know.

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

Davio's is a more expensive, upscale Northern Italian steakhouse. If your children enjoy going to very nice restaurants then you would all be happy at Davio's.

Caffe Casta Diva (227 S. 20th)is a small, more casual homestyle Italian restaurant. It is BYO and cash only.

Maybe Suzanne can tell you whether Devon Seafood Grill (225 S. 18th) would be a good option.

Los Catrines (1602 Locust St.) reportedly has great mexican food but does not take reservations. Their website is www.taquilasphilly.com.

I was thinking there was more within a few blocks of your hotel, but most of the restaurants are expensive or very expensive. If you want to know more please let me know.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

How could I forget Matyson (37 S 19th St.)! Very innovative, scrumptious, New American BYO. Negatives are the noise level and that it is a little bit cramped. If you are early diners, I'd go here.

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Crowne Plaza

Devon Seafood - I forgot about this place - is a good option with decent food, especially good with kids. But it's a chain, technically, so you may want to opt for some of the more authentic options in Philly. I can firsthand comment on Los Catrines Tequila's - the food is just great, but no reservations - worth the wait, though - or if you go early enough, you may not have to wait - I tried getting in there about 2 months ago on a Friday night around 8 pm - a 2 hr wait!