We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Hi There

Well I realise there's alot of post with people requesting help to find accomodation but I really really need some help as

1.I'm coming to USA for the first time this Spring

2.I'm very nervous already

3.I'm "rubbish" when it comes to choosing accomodation etc

What I'm looking for is a single room in a nice , clean hotel , not too far away from things ( I have no car ) for approx $70 a night ( for 3 nights mid april ) Also a few ideas of what to do would be wonderful - is there a sports team I can go watch ( baseball etc ) , or perhaps a boat trip . I would love to hire a mountain bike to really see the city - is there anywhere you could recommend . I also like live music and comedy - and finally I would love to go to a 70s / 80s disco ( I'm 32 ) . Not too much to ask . any help appreciated . Thanks

P.S I'm from England . But don't hold that against me ! ........

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Page, don't be nervous. You're going to do fine.

In your price range and since you're alone, you might want to try a B&B or small inn. Here are some websites to get you started. See what appeals to you, narrow it down, and then check back in here and I can advise on the locations. You'll want to stay in Center City; the historic area is nice, quiet, safe, and really gives you a feel for old Philadelphia.

bnbphiladelphia.com/philadelphia/center-city…

bedandbreakfast.com/philadelphia-pennsylvani…

www.lanierbb.com/Pennsylvania/Philadelphia/

washington dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Thanks Happy Traveller - I will be looking at the websites and I , hopefully , will be able to get your advice when I have narrowed it down to a couple of places to stay

washington dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Hello Again

Well having looked at Hotel and B&B accomadation there are 2-3 which I was going to ask you about . The first was Ramada of Philadelphia / Gloucester City , the second was Ramada Plaza hotel Mount Laurel ( both inexpensive - is this because of the neighbourhood or quality ? ) and finally Radison Hotel Mount Laurel . The BB's are fairly expensive but one at $90 on South 12th Street sounds reasonable . Do BB's have a lock-out time , or is it up to the individual establishment ?

Thanks for any dvice

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Hi Page,

Gloucester City and Mount Laurel are both in New Jersey. You'd be a good 10 miles away from Philadelphia, with no easy public transport into the city.

Which guest house were you looking at on S. 12th Street? Was it the Antique Row B&B? That looks decent and the location seems ok. Note that they list both shared and private bathrooms; at the lower end of the price scale, you're probably looking at a shared bath. Not sure if that's ok with you or not.

Take a look at the Thomas Bond House, on the third (I think) website I listed. That looks really nice and the location is excellent. At $95 and up, it's a little more than you wanted to spend, but the place and location could be worth it. And you're getting a meal with it. Looks like it's run by the National Park Service, right in the historical area.

Not sure about their policies on hours/lock-up. Both of these include e-mail addresses where you can reach the proprietors and ask.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you're progressing!:-)

Apex, NC
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

As happytraveller mentions, those NJ locations are cheap, but you'd probably need a car to make it to Philadelphia. I am from Philly and usually stay in Jersey when I visit because of the lower prices, but I stay near Maple Shade, NJ and rent a car to make the trip over the bridge to downtown Philly. At $95 that's about as cheap as you'll find within the center city area. If you need any information on sites that are "must-sees" feel free to post again ! Cheers !

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
88 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

For a retro disco club, check out Poly Esthers (1201 Race St): http://www.phillytown.com/polyesters.htm I was there a couple of years ago and it was great fun.

For baseball, definitely go to a Phillies game. There is a subway directly to the stadium.

South Street between 2nd and 6th is funky fun. Very artsy, lots of places to eat. Pat's on the corner (near 4th?) has incredible cheesesteaks.

There are several comedy clubs in town, the newspapers will list the current shows.

Stay in the city if you can. I used to commute in from New Jersey, and it can be inconvenient.

Reading terminal market (near Market St. and 8th st.) has a street-vendor feel to it, and it's a cheap place to eat.

Skip the boat ride. The Delaware River is gross, especially since the oil spill last year. The scenery consists of industry, a prison, and the naval yard.

Enjoy yourself, and don't be nervous. It's a comfortable and friendly city!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
88 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

For a retro disco club, check out Poly Esthers (1201 Race St): http://www.phillytown.com/polyesters.htm I was there a couple of years ago and it was great fun.

For baseball, definitely go to a Phillies game. There is a subway directly to the stadium.

South Street between 2nd and 6th is funky fun. Very artsy, lots of places to eat. Pat's on the corner (near 4th?) has incredible cheesesteaks.

There are several comedy clubs in town, the newspapers will list the current shows.

Stay in the city if you can. I used to commute in from New Jersey, and it can be inconvenient.

Reading terminal market (near Market St. and 8th st.) has a street-vendor feel to it, and it's a cheap place to eat.

Skip the boat ride. The Delaware River is gross, especially since the oil spill last year. The scenery consists of industry, a prison, and the naval yard.

Enjoy yourself, and don't be nervous. It's a comfortable and friendly city!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Center city b and b with $65/night antiquerowbnb.com. You will ahve to do the research about if it is clean or not but it is in a great part of center city

washington dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Hi There

Thanks very much for the advice . Poly esthers sounds great and I'll definitely go there . I've found a B & B in 16th Street in the Rittenhouse area with a private bath at $90 a night , which is the going rate for centre city for a single room . I take it this area is fairly central to most things ? How long would it take me to get to the Baseball and liberty bell etc from here ? Also are there any good mountain bike hire places in the city as I thought I could hire a bike and see more of this great city . Thanks

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Single traveller coming to USA and Philadelphia for the...

Yes, you'll be centrally located. Historic area (Liberty Bell,

Independence Hall) is about 12 blocks away--about a 20- minute walk or so.

Citizens Bank Park (baseball) is in South Philadelphia. From your lodging, you'd take the Broad Street subway (about 2 or 3 blocks away from where you're staying), heading south.

Here's a good website that outlines a suggested bike route, with a link to a place that rents bikes.

bootsnall.com/namericatravelguides/philly/oc…