We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia Aquarium

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Philadelphia Aquarium

We are going back to NYC in July. However on the way back we want to stop in Philadelphia and check out the aquarium. From what we hear it is not in a very nice neighborhood. Can we leave the car there while we go? Also how would you reccomend getting right onto the highway from there? Thanks Rhonda

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,753 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

There is no aquarium in philly. there is a zoo but i think that is it.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

I believe that baltimoremom is referring to the Adventure Aquarium in Camden. Here is a link that will take you to visitor information such as parking and directions.

www.adventureaquarium.com/guestinfo.aspx

Camden is indeed one of the most dangerous cities in the US. I suggest not straying far from the Aquarium.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story…

myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/Camden_S…

www.philly.com/philly/news/123684609.html

courierpostonline.com/article/20110601/NEWS0…

Edited: 5:37 pm, June 11, 2011
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

Two notes - although Camden itself is in really bad shape right now, the waterfront area is heavily patrolled and is fine. You just don't want to visit the city proper. There is parking there, standard big city rules of don't leave items out apply.

Note #2 - If you have been to the Baltimore Aquarium (judging by your location you probably have) understand that while decent, Camden does NOT stack up to it.

As far as directions, it will depend on what way you are coming back from NYC..

\From Northern New Jersey and New York via the New Jersey Turnpike or I-295

From the New Jersey Turnpike, take Exit 4 onto Route 73 North. Take Route 73 to Route 38 West towards Camden. Take Route 38 West and bear right at overpass to Route 30 West. Stay on 30 West approximately 1.6 miles to the “Martin Luther King Boulevard/Waterfront Attractions” exit on the right. Off the ramp continue straight until the road splits. Following the blue “Waterfront/Aquarium” stay to the left onto Martin Luther King Boulevard. Follow MLK Blvd approximately 1.1 miles to Third Street and turn right on Third (north). Make a left at the second light, Market Street (west) and stay on Market for three blocks to its end at Delaware Avenue. Make a left at Delaware Avenue (south), and get immediately into the right lane. Look for the entrance to the parking area on the right less than one block after turning onto to Delaware Avenue.

From I-295 South take Exit 26- “676 North.” Take 676 North approximately 3 miles to Exit 5A “Martin Luther King Boulevard.” Staying in the right lane go straight off of the exit ramp(east), follow blue “Waterfront” signs approximately 1.1 miles to 3rd Street. Turn right on Third Street (north) and follow it for two blocks to Market Street. Turn left at the second light, Market Street (west) and stay on Market for three blocks to its end at Delaware Avenue. Make a left at Delaware Avenue (south) and get immediately into the right lane. Look for the entrance to the parking area on the right less than one block after turning onto to Delaware Avenue.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

loonbeam- I recalled the OP's sensitivities about what her children would be "exposed to" and wanted to make sure she understood what they might potentially see on the drive through Camden

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

I suggest that you go to Philadelphia, park your car on that side of the river and take the River Link Ferry to Camden to visit the Aquarium. The aquarium is not anywhere as nice as the one in Baltimore. However, the kids may enjoy the boat ride to get there, so all in all it would be fun.

http://riverlinkferry.org/

The River Link Ferry on the Philadelphia side is close to I-95. There are directions on their site.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

To be honest, I think that the OP should not visit Philadelphia again, as she will certainly encounter same-sex couples (and same-sex parents) no matter where she visits in the city, and, unfortunately, this seems to offend here sensibilities vis-a-vis her children.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

Whaaaat? Where does she say that? I don't see that in her post. Was that in a previous post? Sad, if that's the case.

Edited: 3:31 pm, June 12, 2011
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

That was in her trip report (within last week or two).

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,753 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philadelphia Aquarium

I think the,op is visiting camden not philly.