We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

Hi!

We're planning on staying in Philadelphia for three nights around New Year's Eve (yes and want to see the Mummers!) and were wondering if anybody could give us advice on the best hotel to choose if we want an indoor swimmingpool for the girls (10 & 12), two beds in our room, possibly a small kitchen area, and as close to historic sites, restaurants and shops as possible!

On this forum I first discovered Hotwire. Would that still be something we could try, do you think? I've only heard about Priceline, so far, and they do not guarantee that you get a room for four, I believe.

Thank you for answering!

Maartje

The Netherlands

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

I went on Travelocity.com and using 12/30 to 1/2 as an itinerary, I found the Marriott Residence Inn Center City. It's right in the heart of downtown, located diagonally from City Hall and a block away from the Mummers Parade route on Market Street. Anything else you want to see downtown should be a convenient walk or quick bus/taxi ride away. They have a kitchenette as well as an indoor swimming pool. Travelocity shows them offering rates of $149 for a studio suite and $159 for a 1-bedroom suite. It sounds like the $159 room would be the one for your family although you may want to confirm whether the sofa converts to a bed for your kids.

I'm not a Hotwire/Priceline person; I personally prefer to know what I'm paying for before I buy it. That said, those websites are popular and Suzanne (mccarthys5) and others herr have a lot of knowledge and positive experiences with those services. If you like the idea of Residence Inn, you may want to also check out what they offer on their own website at www.marriott.com . Hope this helps! :)

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

I should correct myself on one point: the Mummers Parade route is traditionally held on Broad Street, the main north-south street in the city, which is one block west of the Residence Inn. For a few years, it was indeed held on Market Street, the main east-west street which is located one block south of the hotel.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

I can give some recommendations - but no one hotel may have all of those features, so you may have to decide what hotel best fits the bill for your needs.

Marriott Courtyard Downtown - (3*) - 21 Juniper Street. Great location, walking distance to historic district, indoor pool/jacuzzi. Basic, clean rooms. 2 double beds in room. No kitchen.

Marriott Philadelphia Downtown - (3*) - 1201 Market Street. Huge hotel, biggest in the city. Indoor pool/jacuzzi, walking distrance to historic district. Little more upscale than the Courtyard Marriott. 2 double beds in room. No kitchen.

Hilton Garden Inn - (3*) - 1100 Arch Street. Good hotel, in Chinatown, walking distance to historic district, indoor pool/jacuzzi. Free internet service, small refridgerator, coffeemaker and microwave in room, but no kitchen area. 2 double beds.

Hyatt Regency at Penn's Landing - (4*) - 201 South Columbus Blvd. Short walk to the historic district. Indoor pool. 2 double beds in room, no kitchen. Can often be found for a great rate on Hotwire.

Sheraton Society Hill - (3*) - One Dock Street. Right in the historic district. Great rooftop indoor pool and jacuzzi. 2 double beds. Can often be found for a great rate on Hotwire, in my opinion, the best bang for the dollar on Hotwire.

Omni Hotel Independence Park - (4*) - 401 Chestnut Street. Right in the historic district. Indoor pool/jacuzzi. 2 double beds, no kitchen. Upscale hotel. Great deal if you get the right price.

Hampton Inn Philadelphia Convention Center (3*) - 1301 Race Street. Good, basic hotel in Chinatown, walking distance to distoric district. Free breakfast in the morning. Indoor pool/jacuzzi. 2 double beds in room, no kitchen.

Embassy Suites Philadelphia - (3*) - 1776 Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Quite a walk or a short cab ride from the Historic District (it's near the Four Seasons listed below.) Suite rooms - a living room attached to a bedroom with 2 double beds. Small kitchenette and dining area with table and chairs. Free full breakfast in the mornings and complimentary managers reception from 5-7 in the evenings with snacks and certain alcoholic/nonalcoholic drinks included. The big drawback? NO indoor pool.

Four Seasons Hotel (5*) - 1 Logan Square - if you feel like splurging, this is a great place. Great rooms, can get 2 double beds, wonderful indoor pool and jacuzzi. Not incredibly close to the historic sights like Independence Hall, more in the museum district, although it can be walked, it would be a long one. No kitchen.

I can help you out with Hotwire if you would like, have used it before many times and have never been burnt. The Sheraton Society Hill is a good deal that I have secured from Hotwire many times in the past (next visit will be from 12/22-12/24). Also, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn this past summer and it was a nice, basic accomodation. I believe they offer some junior suites as well - I'd check on the Hilton website.

Let me know if you have questions or need more assistance. Hope this helps!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

Tony, forgot about the Residence Inn! Good job!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

Thanks Suzanne, even though the credit more goes to the Travelocity search engine. LOL I see you have covered pretty much everything else. :)

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

Great, thanks for all of your help, I'm learning a lot here on this forum!! I will definitely check out all these hotels and report back to you!

Bai,

Maartje

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

After having given the hotels (and especially their rates) a lot of thought, we decided to book the Mariott Courtyard Inn, which we did last night.

Thanks again, and I'll be asking new questions on other subjects.

Bye,

Maartje

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

Glad we could help! The Marriott Courtyard is in a great spot. In lieu of the kitchen you had hoped for, there are a few eating establishments nearby your hotel. First and foremost is the Reading Terminal Market which at 13th and Filbert, one block east then one block north. It's a casual "farmer's market" atmosphere with a variety of restaurants and food merchants.

There are two food courts at the Gallery mall located at 11th and Market Streets, two blocks east of your hotel.

Finally, if you're in a hurry or want the "ultimate" Philadelphia local experience, patronize any of the various food cart vendors downtown. Ask for a hoagie and/or soft pretzel! :)

Of course, there are certainly many more mid-to-upscale options nearby and around the downtown area. I'm just addressing your desire to keep food costs down, assuming your young ladies have not developed refined culinary tastes as of yet. (I still have not! LOL)

York, PA
Level Contributor
788 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

I assume that you mean the Courtyard by Marriott that is downtown as opposed to the one near the airport. The one downtown is an outstanding hotel that I'm sure that you'll enjoy staying at. The hotel opened in 1999 and is housed in the Old City Hall Annex, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, since the building dates back to 1926. It gets mostly (all but 2) positive review on here and I think that you have made an excellent choice by deciding to stay there. In case you are wondering, the hotel has an indoor pool and was just remodeled this fall (at least that's what I've heard). Also, the hotel is conveniently located downtown near the convention center, and isn't far from Independence Hall or the Reading Terminal Market. There are several restaurants and shops nearby the hotel that are worth checking out, as well as many historic sights within walking distance. Again, I think that you will be pleased with the Courtyard by Marriott and will find its location to be convenient to things you want to do and see. I hope that you enjoy your stay and please feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with pool, fridge and microwave

Yes we did indeed book the downtown Marriott. Suppose it is extremely cold we would perhaps go shopping in this huge mall I read about. Would it then be advisable to get our car out or would it be easier to reach the Prussia Mall by public transport? We are normally great fans of public transport, but we do have a car with us. Any other indoor suggestions, if the weather turns to be very cold?

Bye,

Maartje