We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant info

louisiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant info

I only have two nights in Philly for a girlfriend shopping spree. We are looking for something fun and different. We want to make the most of the time we have? Any suggestions?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant info

Do you mean the most as far as shopping?

Mid-Atlantic States
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant info

Hi! I don't live in Philly, and I'm not a local expert, but am returning to the City that Loves You Back on Thanksgiving. So I am suggesting some locations that I actually visited and others that I only read about in brochures available at Philly's 30th Street Station.

Your girlfriend shopping spree in Philly will be a blast because of all the choices: from malls such as Liberty Place and The Gallery at Market East, to the department store Lord & Taylor (don't miss the holiday lighting display there). Of course, no girlfriends' queening day would be complete without a stroll through the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood, where you will find many high-end boutiques. There's one fabulous store that sells only hip and quirky bags and other storage accessories (such as fancy-schmancy eyeglass cases), and I believe it's on Walnut Street near South 17th Street, but don't quote me).

If you're not just shopping for clothing, Philly will not disappoint. For antiques, try Antique Row; for jewelry, Jewelers' Row. For the actual range of streets that comprise each Row, just Google "Antique Row Philadelphia" and "Jewelers' Row Philadelphia." And don't forget museum shops such as the one at the historic Philadelphia Museum of Art.

If you had more time and in better weather than this, you could go farther afield, taking a day trip by car or bus to either Franklin Mills or go outlet hopping in Reading, PA.

The key is to select a centrally located hotel as your base -- there are plenty that you can find right here on TripAdvisor. If your budget allows you to splurge, you might want to seek out a hotel with a spa so you and your friends can pamper yourselves in luxury -- and soak those aching feet after all of that shopping.

HAVE FUN! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant info

If you want something girly to do one afternoon, I'd suggest tea at one of the finer hotels - the Ritz, the Four Seasons and the Rittenhouse hotel all do excellent afternoon teas- you can even get the royal tea complete with champagne.

I actually just had my 7 year old daughter's birthday party at the Rittenhouse this past weekend - we went to afternoon tea with 6 of her friends and they did a great job. It was reasonable, too - $17/pp (obviously, they weren't having the champagne tea), but they felt so grown-up and really enjoyed themselves. And the tea was wonderful - little sandwiches, scones and pastries, and of course, the tea of your choice (although the girls all drank hot chocolate, instead!) But just an idea for a girls weekend, lots of fun. I recall your saying that you are staying at the Ritz. I'm sure their afternoon tea would be fabulous as well - I was at tea in their DC hotel last year with my girlfriends and it was great.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant info

Suzanne,

How does afternoon tea at the Ritz-Carlton compare to tea at the Four Seasons?

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant info

Lynn,

Ritz Carlton's tea is great. Very decadent. Best scones of my life with lemon preserves and devonshire cream and jam. Do the Royal tea - it is worth the few extra dollars if you like champagne. I have never had the tea at the Four Seasons in Philly - only at the Four Seasons in Chicago a few years back and that was great as well. I think you can't go wrong with either of these two establishments, they are first rate.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant info

Suzanne-

I was so hoping you had been to both and could compare them because I have been to the Four Seasons and not the Ritz-Carlton. The Four Seasons tea was excellent. Everything very fresh and delicious and a very broad selection of teas. I'll just have to do the comparison myself. Tough assignment!

Lynn

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant info

Depends what kind of shopping you want to do, but if you're looking for something more urban/funky - check out Old City, around 3rd and Market (a few blocks from Independence Hall area, although I'm not sure of the exact parameters). There are lots of hip stores in that area and also lots of popular restaurants, like Buddukan, Fork, The Continental, etc. You may also want to check out MSN city guides for more detailed reviews of restaurants and Old City shops. Have fun!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant info

Lynn,

Let me know how you make out for that tea at the Ritz, tough assignment, right! I may have to do the reverse and have tea at the Four Seasons in Philly and we can compare notes!

Either way, I'd definitely do the champagne tea!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant info

Suzanne,

I like to get the last seating and then tea slides right into happy hour!

Lynn