We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Philadelphia

chicago
8 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Philadelphia

Hello,

I know this isn't in your area but we recently spent some time in your lovely city and seriously considering retiring here soon.

Ideally, we would like to have an neighborhood with bars, restaurants etc, with good public transport, since we will probably drop our car.

We need a condo for appx $250,00-270,000.

Any thoughts or suggestions on our finding a new home would be appreciated.

Did I mention that we loved your city.

Thank you.

Sylvia219

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Philadelphia

Hi Sylvia, glad the city made such a good impression on you to consider moving here. As with most larger cities, there is a lot of condo development going on around Center City (downtown). Your price range should get you into all but the most extravagant developments. Check out the Old City and Loft District sections for the most value. The Loft District is close to Chinatown and the Convention Center. Old City has a lot of bars, art galleries and restaurants. You may require an occasional taxi ride for supermarket-level food shopping but otherwise you should be able to walk or take SEPTA anywhere you need to go. Happy home hunting!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Philadelphia

Sylvia: Philly is a great place to live! Try going to www.philadelphiaweekly.com and click on the "find a home" icon. The Philadelphia Weekly (PW) is a very handy local paper with lots of real estate listings, particularly condos. Most of the listings are for Center City and surrounding neighborhoods. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Philadelphia

Hi,

Thanks for the positive nature of your comments about Philly -- I think it is great here as well!

Here's a website to get you started:

www.centercitycondos.com

I'd do a search and put your criteria for area in the search engine: areas to consider might be: Olde City, Rittenhouse Square, Washington Square, Art Museum, Queen Village, Society Hill, Filter Square...just to name a few. All these neighborhoods are centrally located with culture/restaurants and public transportation close by.

I am assuming you are looking for a one bedroom condo in the 250-270K price range - with the exception of the Art Museum area, you might be hard pressed to find more than one bedroom in that mentioned price range. In the Art Museum area, you should be able to possibly find a two-bedroom condo towards the 270K end of things, if that is your goal.

Good luck and let us know if you have additional questions.

Mentioned in this post
Rittenhouse Square
Rittenhouse Square
702 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Society Hill
Society Hill
45 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Philadelphia

Here's an article that may further convince Sylvia, if not also some others, that Philly can be a great place to visit and even live.

philly.com/mld/…12759747.htm